Blown 6.0 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2013, 12:08 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Blown 6.0

About two months ago I added a gallon of coolant after not noticing and coolant leaks. I added almost another gallon about two weeks ago. Again , no visible coolant leaks. Last week while on a interstate at night I noticed smoke in the headlights of the vehicles following me. Not real heavy but somewhat. All gauges were ok. About 60 miles later I started smelling oil and diesel and lost power. High pressure engine compression was blowing from the drivers side of the lower part of the engine. Something had blown. The next morning coolant and oil was dripped onto the pavement but not much. I had the vehicle towed to a Ford dealership. They found low compression on cylinder 8. The removed the valve covers and found the rockers and rods ok . The service tech said that I need a new engine at $13K. I just read on PSH.com that this could be a blown head gasket. I am going to ask the service writer about this . Can anyone advise me on this issue ? Its a 2003 Excursion 6.0 with over 200K miles on it. In the past two years I have had the ac replaced and most of the front end. Just two weeks ago I had new brakes and a hub replaced. I would like to keep the vehicle but dont want to spend $13K on a new engine if I do not have to. Does my break down sound like a blown head gasket ? The engine did not loose oil pressure or run hot on the guages. But combustion is spewing out on the back drivers side of the engine about half way down or a bit more. Could be where cylinder 8 is located. The wife said that she saw some flames coming from the tail pipe and I noticed that the tail pipe was much hotter than normal. Again , Could this be a blown head gasket ? Any help is very much appreciated. Cheers , Ratler
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2013, 07:25 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratler View Post
About two months ago I added a gallon of coolant after not noticing and coolant leaks. I added almost another gallon about two weeks ago. Again , no visible coolant leaks. Last week while on a interstate at night I noticed smoke in the headlights of the vehicles following me. Not real heavy but somewhat. All gauges were ok. About 60 miles later I started smelling oil and diesel and lost power. High pressure engine compression was blowing from the drivers side of the lower part of the engine. Something had blown. The next morning coolant and oil was dripped onto the pavement but not much. I had the vehicle towed to a Ford dealership. They found low compression on cylinder 8. The removed the valve covers and found the rockers and rods ok . The service tech said that I need a new engine at $13K. I just read on PSH.com that this could be a blown head gasket. I am going to ask the service writer about this . Can anyone advise me on this issue ? Its a 2003 Excursion 6.0 with over 200K miles on it. In the past two years I have had the ac replaced and most of the front end. Just two weeks ago I had new brakes and a hub replaced. I would like to keep the vehicle but dont want to spend $13K on a new engine if I do not have to. Does my break down sound like a blown head gasket ? The engine did not loose oil pressure or run hot on the guages. But combustion is spewing out on the back drivers side of the engine about half way down or a bit more. Could be where cylinder 8 is located. The wife said that she saw some flames coming from the tail pipe and I noticed that the tail pipe was much hotter than normal. Again , Could this be a blown head gasket ? Any help is very much appreciated. Cheers , Ratler
seems like you are all over the map with where things might be going with your truck. if you suspect bad head gaskets check oil for milkshake like consistency and open degas bottle then start vehicle and inspect for bubbles forming in bottle. it is not uncommon for a 6.0 to run with a bad head gasket in fact a co worker is riding around with bad gaskets just because he doesnt want to do the job yet. headgaskets could cause oil leak depending on where the gasket is ripped. why is the tech recommending an engine when you can replace head gaskets for less than half the cost you were quoted?
Old 09-30-2013, 11:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Blown 6.0

The service rep said that the Ford Tech said that the engine is shot and it needs to be replaced. When I mentioned checking for a blown head gasket he said that he spoke with the tech and the tech said its more than a blown head gasket . I went ahead and paid them for looking into it and had it towed back home. After checking other options I have decided to have it towed to Ga. and have Power Stroke Specialty rebuild it. Ford gave me a good price but for the same I can have PSS rebuild it plus install the head bolt kit . They install harder bolts due to the 6.0 having less bolts per head than a 7.3 and being prone to blow head gaskets The bolts may be larger , I cant remember what his video said. With compression blowing out from around the bottom of the head at cylinder 8 plus antifreeze and a bit of oil leaking too , I feel that a head gasket could take care of it. But at 300K miles I'm sure something else is fixing to go. So a rebuild is what is needed if I want something to rely on. I would junk it but in the last two years I have had the front end rebuilt , new AC compressor and after loosing a fuel injector I had them replace all 8. Hopefully with the rebuild they will just use the like new injectors that I had replaced. Ford was going to install another engine and those injectors would have not been used. I really had good luck out of a early 2003 6.0. I want a new 6.7 F-350 but being only about a year away from the mid decade 2015 model , I would hate to buy a 2014 and after a year they make some changes that were worth waiting for. At times they make changes with the mid decade models. Right now I'm using my 2000 Excursion 7.3. I miss the power of the 6.0. I have never driven a 6.7 but I bet it is an eye opener at 400hp ! I wish that I could tell you more but that's all I got out of the Ford dealer. Again , It probably is just a head gasket but at 300K it needs a rebuild if I want it to hold up. I appreciate your comments. Ratler
Old 10-01-2013, 06:59 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
If your thinking of getting a 2014 I'd do the absolute minimum to get your truck running again to use as a trade in. If for some reason you still want the old truck running good check out the posts on bullet proofing. For damn sure you need to get head studs NOT bolts.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 10-01-2013, 11:59 AM
Premium Member

I got one of those beauties, same symptons of smoke. Found #8 injector tip broke off. That is the one on drivers side nearest firewall.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.