Misfiring Issues! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2013, 04:05 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Misfiring Issues!

A puzzle... Driving my truck (2004 f350) home one day and it began to misfire when accelerating. It got worse until it was shaking the whole truck. Initially I thought it might be bad fuel or plugged fuel filter. Changed out the filter but still doing it. The next to try was the cam sensor... changed two of those (thought the first was a lemon)... still no fix. It has been in the shop for over a month and can't find the issue. We have even swapped out the turbo. Computer is not picking anything up. Fuel pressure is good. Bi-passed the catalytic converter... still nothing. I just replaced all the injectors in the fall and they are reading at 100%... It seems to happen once it warms up a bit and then when you step on the pedal to accelerate. Any ideas!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2013, 05:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

It sounds similar to what my truck is doing. Could air bubbles somehow be getting into fuel system?
Old 07-16-2013, 08:28 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I was wondering the same about air... but the fuel pressure seems to be steady. Even when the truck is doing it. Would air affect the fuel pressure?
Old 07-16-2013, 08:29 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I was also wondering about air getting into the system, but the fuel pressure seems to remain steady even when the truck is doing it.
Old 07-17-2013, 04:14 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by theduke_247 View Post
Would air affect the fuel pressure?
Not necessarily; the air could be compressed to the fuel pressure, and not be noticed by the pressure sensor.
Old 07-17-2013, 03:20 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Could it be a faulty injector? It started happening shortly after the new injectors were installed. It could be happening so quick that the sensors are not picking it up.
Old 07-17-2013, 05:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I talked to the garage today about my truck. They already checked for air getting into the system and are pretty sure that is not it. Misfiring might be the wrong description. What it does is 'stagger' under acceleration. Sometimes it will do it once so you hardly notice it, other times it will do it again and again until you back right off. The whole truck will shake... and then it will smooth out. Sometimes you can drive it for 20 or 30 minutes and it won't miss a beat. The injector modulator seems to be good.. they have changed the peddle... pump seems to be working great. My new injectors are all Ford injectors... could one (or all) be misfiring and it happens so fast the diagnostic equipment isn't picking it up?
Old 07-19-2013, 12:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

How about the filters in the fuel tank? My 2001 quit runny on the road a freind said t blow back thru the fuel line (low preasure) thru the tank,, work for me
Old 07-26-2013, 08:47 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtracer 1200 View Post
How about the filters in the fuel tank? My 2001 quit runny on the road a freind said t blow back thru the fuel line (low preasure) thru the tank,, work for me
I don't think that is it either. Fuel pressure is good. Going to try replacing the new injectors on Monday... someone said they had a similar problem and it had to do with a tiny bolt that holds the magnets to the injectors that came lose. The strange thing is that I had all eight injectors replaced early spring with new Ford injectors and the injectors are not showing up on the diagnostics as a problem. So if it is an injector problem - which one is it?... We have tried everything else... and the problem only showed up after I had the injectors done! Could it be an injector problem and still not show up in the diagnostics? The other issue is that it is an expensive fix (especially because they were just done) and even if that fixes the problem... Ford probably won't warranty all eight injectors!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.