White smoke after coolant pressure test - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2013, 08:17 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
White smoke after coolant pressure test

I have the same problem so many others have with my 2005 6.0 puking coolant ocassionally. I have searched for my specific issue but haven't found it on the forums so figured I would ask.

Every once in a while I get a little coolant puking from the degass bottle. Never gets very low on coolant, I usually add only about 1/3 to 1/2 gallon of Zerex G05 when I notce it is low which has been 3 times over 6 months. I have replaced the degass bottle cap with a FOMOCO and it still did it the other day, not pulling anything, just town driving.

A mechanic told me to get a coolant pressure test kit so I borrowed one and tested the cap first and it held to 16Psi. I then pressurized the system at the degass bottle to around 16-17 Psi, jacked up the rear end about 8" and removed the EGR valve. I let it is for 2.5 hours. I never saw any coolant at the EGR valve port like I expected and I never lost pressure on the tester; it was still at 16-17. The next morning when I started it, it started rough and blew white smoke out. This is not normal, I have never seen it blow white smoke out before. It smoked for only a few seconds and I have started and drove it a few times since and it never smoked again.

Anyone know why it would smoke like that?

Also, I just bought an Edge programmer to monitor the ECT and EOT. I drove it about 15 miles and the warmest it ever got was ECT 203 deg and EOT 208. They were almost always within 2-4 deg apart while driving for about 1/2 hour.

Thanks for any advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2013, 09:01 AM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to Bluedemon6.0
I know you don't want to hear this but this symptoms are sounding like a blown hg. Mine did the same thing but it got to the point when I went to start the engine it was acting like it was hydro locked. The coolant system should stay very low in pressure if you are at 16 all the time either you have a blown egr cooler or blown hg. Tuscany has a great post on how to diagnose a blown head gasket or you can you tube hg test. Good luck

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 04-27-2013, 12:10 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the info, but to clarify it isn't at 16 all the time, it was at 16 psi when I pumped it up with a coolant pressure tester to 16 psi. I was just stating that it stayed at the 16 during my two hour test. The engine was never started, it was just sitting there.
Old 04-27-2013, 03:28 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to Bluedemon6.0
Ok. I would still check your coolant pressure. To me pressurizing the system would only check for leaks. The reason I say that is when my Hgs were blown my coolant pressure never went below 16, I would remove the coolant cap to relieve pressure and it would build pressure in no time (with the engine running). I would say an injector but the smoke would smell like diesel. Do you have any codes? Could be a bad egr valve but like I said check out Tuscany, he bought a set up at tsc cheap to test coolant pressure. This will give you a definite answer. Good luck

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 04-30-2013, 07:32 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I watched the video from Tuscany and plan to make that test guage. Thanks!
Old 05-01-2013, 12:11 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

This may be off topic but... I started a thread elsewhere but have gotten no response..... Are you adding the G-05 right on top of the ford Gold, or have you switched completely over to G-05? Is it acceptable to put G-05 on top of Ford Gold? or is it, use one or the either, dont mix?
Old 05-01-2013, 12:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

wach your oil and coolant temp gauage, pull a decent size hill while staying in it the whole way let me know what the temp is then, try to keep as much boost up as poss
Old 05-01-2013, 01:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelaiman View Post
This may be off topic but... I started a thread elsewhere but have gotten no response..... Are you adding the G-05 right on top of the ford Gold, or have you switched completely over to G-05? Is it acceptable to put G-05 on top of Ford Gold? or is it, use one or the either, dont mix?
I have been topping it off with G-05. I am like the 3rd owner of this truck so I am not really sure if it still has the Ford Gold in it or not. I am thinking of draining and refilling. I would like to flush it but hear lots of bad stories of flushing then clogging the oil cooler (aka coolant filter).
Old 05-01-2013, 01:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modern Diesel Performance View Post
wach your oil and coolant temp gauage, pull a decent size hill while staying in it the whole way let me know what the temp is then, try to keep as much boost up as poss
I will try it. Unfortunately I don't have any good hills to climb unless I hang my fiver on the back and drag it around for a few miles.
I will let you know what the results are.
Old 05-04-2013, 08:12 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Update. I installed a coolant pressure guage (0-30psi) and drove it for about 40 minutes this morning. I dont have any long hills near me but had to make a dump run so had my 18ft utility trailer and got on it several times with boost up to 25. About 15 minutes of driving EOT was about 190 and ECT was about the same. Coolant pressure was at about 12. After about 40 minutes of driving except for dump stop i was about home and by that time EOT and ECT were about 200. They never were more than 4-5 deg apart. Coolant pressure was then around 16-17 but i didnt get coolant puke. When i would get on it with 25 psi boost the coolant temp would rise by about 1 then would slowly fall back.
I also used one of those liquid combustion leak testers and it did not detect any exhaust gases in the coolant.
Is this pointing to head issues?

Last edited by tsimpsonaz; 05-04-2013 at 12:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.