have a 2005 ford powerstroke 6.0 need HELP - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2013, 02:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
have a 2005 ford powerstroke 6.0 need HELP

i have a 2005ford f250 powerstroke with the 6.0 motor in it. drove home one night everthing working perfectly then the next morning no start no motor turning over no nothing at all... so i check the batteries they both read 12.8v seperately..... so voltage is good. i put key in ignition and i dont hear glow plugs anymore. and another weird thing is when i plug the sct programmer in the trucks port it comes on and as soon as i turn key forward to on position the programmer screen looses power like something is backwards (power wise) all fuses are good all battery connections are good and i havent drove it in about 2 mo and kinda am weirry on the dealership in the area cause of past experiences with them. im a motorcycle mechanic so i have knowledge in electrical 12v and short tracing so i have the aquired tools to do so if someone can point me in the right direction.. oh yeah on the passenger side under the hood is the starter wire befire the relay i tapped that on battery positive and motor turns over so its what ever is going on before that.... please help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2013, 02:48 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
You never hear the glow plugs when you turn the key on. You hear one and/or two things injectors buzzing and vacuum pump running when you first turn the key on. If your not hearing the injectors buzzing it is something most likely in the FICM.
Old 01-14-2013, 03:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuscany View Post
You never hear the glow plugs when you turn the key on. You hear one and/or two things injectors buzzing and vacuum pump running when you first turn the key on. If your not hearing the injectors buzzing it is something most likely in the FICM.
I don't hear glow plugs at all,,,all I hear is the pump running. Will ficm keep the starter from turning over with me turning key? Thanks in advance
Old 01-14-2013, 03:21 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Not usually. Check all the fuses. In and out of the cab.
Old 01-14-2013, 03:33 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
How did you check the batteries? They need to be load tested, not just the voltage checked. I'm not questioning your ability, just trying to help.

Check your fuses, it sounds like the DLC fuse is blown.

Do you have any way to monitor? If so look at your gear position to make sure it is showing P/N (I am assuming an automatic). The truck shouldn't start unless it is in park or neutral.

Will it start with the key on and you spinning the starter from the pass fender?

Sent from my DROID X2 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 01-14-2013, 03:41 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I second load testing the batteries. Voltage checked only can often not tell the whole story.
Old 01-14-2013, 03:47 PM
Serving Our Country!

Send a message via Skype™ to Bluedemon6.0
I had to edit my post because I did not read the last sentence of the original post. Sounds like a loose wire maybe try disconnecting the ecu and see if something is not seated right. Any codes?
It does sound like you have a short going to your ecu though. Something is telling the ecu not turn the engine over. Maybe a sensor on the motor shorted out? What would cause the starter to not spin? That is the question.

Sent from my PG06100 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

Last edited by Bluedemon6.0; 01-14-2013 at 04:03 PM.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:14 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluedemon6.0 View Post
What would cause the starter to not spin? That is the question.

Sent from my PG06100 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Gear position sensor, starter relay, PCM (I think the PCM has to approve starter) or ignition switch....assuming batteries are hot.

The starter relay should be the same as several other ones...you can try swapping with something else that works to "test" the relay. Try to start the truck in neutral to see if it behaves any different than in park.

Sent from my DROID X2 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 01-14-2013, 04:33 PM
Serving Our Country!

Send a message via Skype™ to Bluedemon6.0
This not a good pic but it was the only way I could get a schematic on here.
Attached Thumbnails
have a 2005 ford powerstroke 6.0 need HELP-image.jpg  

Last edited by Bluedemon6.0; 01-14-2013 at 05:02 PM.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I load tested the batteries as well they show 12.5 loaded and batteries are fairly new as well. Another test I have done is at the ignition I have a power probe it should shows positive when trying to start but it doesn't turn motor over at all, here is the kicker it will turn motor over if i send neg out of the prob but of course the injectors are not working so it will not start.. I will try the starting it with key in on position but I doubt it will do anything because glow plugs don't even power.. And once again guys Im reading and taking all into consideration and at this point there are no dumb questions and even a great tech needs a tune up,,, this one is over my scale since This is my first diesel. Thanks in advance. And all fuses seem to be in good standing.. Is there such thing as a body control module in this thing and or antitheft doing such thing? No theft light on and I don't even see one on dash

Last edited by g---mall; 01-14-2013 at 07:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.