Random 6.0 miss and no start after start up. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2012, 07:27 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Random 6.0 miss and no start after start up.

This is a little long winded but my '05 Ex which has been extremely good for me has all of a sudden developed a random, start, drive 20-50 feet out of my garage ,which I keep at about -5 C, then have a very slight miss, repeat that a couple times then it stalls with a no start. Cranks fine until the batteries are low at which time had it towed to dealer which looked at it the next day after charging the batteries back up and it started/ran just fine. They said no codes except for the usual EGR deleted codes which I've had for years, they said the batteries and charging system checked out ok. Bottom line, since it ran and drove fine for them they had no idea what it could be. Used my truck for some relatively short trips in town a few times over the last week with no issues then today the same slight miss a few times then stall and no start. Left it where it stalled but came back to it about an hour later and gave it a try. It started right away had one slight miss so a high idled it for a couple minutes then drove around the block. Did a slight miss continued on a few feet, slight miss, few feet more then a stall with a no start. Had no time to screw around with it right then but came back to it about six hours later to give it a try but batteries were too low after all that time with the 4ways on. Hooked up our other car up to the Ex and let it charge the batteries back up for about ten minutes. Turned the key and it fired up so I left it at high idle for fifteen minutes with no trace of a miss. After I had brought the Ex back from the dealer even though they said the batteries were ok I had it hooked up to a battery tender to keep the batteries topped up as I was thinking since I had not been doing very long trips lately that the batteries were maybe not getting fully charged and the engine was doing the missing and stalling thing because the glow plugs were not getting the proper voltage to give a sustained heat source for our -20C weather but having it on the charger all the time blew that idea out of the water. Fuel pressure and ICP is fine sooooo does anyone have any ideas as to what's wrong?

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2012, 07:45 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
What is your FICM doing through all of this. Also how about your IPR %? What is your ICP when it stumbles then stalls? I would first suggest testing the FICM then the HPO system if it came down to it, but I wonder if maybe you don't have a loose connection on a CKP or CMP?
Old 12-24-2012, 05:21 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuscany View Post
What is your FICM doing through all of this. Also how about your IPR %? What is your ICP when it stumbles then stalls? I would first suggest testing the FICM then the HPO system if it came down to it, but I wonder if maybe you don't have a loose connection on a CKP or CMP?
Well the dealer said they did a test drive with it hooked up to a computer which showed nothing. So I am assuming they checked out the FICM. As to what my HPOP gauge was indicating at the times of the miss, I was too busy spouting a string of adjectives to wake up and check my over $1,000 worth of gauges. (I know, real dumb). Although after the last event when I came back to it with the boost I did grab a brain and looked at my gauges as I started it up. The HPO came up to just over 740 while cranking and was around 1300 when running. Kind of like your loose connection idea, but dumb question, what connectors are CKP and CMP? Looks like I'm going to have to get my AE working right away as I did the latest update a while back and now need some kind of damn updated part. It does seem strange that it is the initial start and drive away from home that this happened and not any starts away from home. Almost like I need to warm it up longer but I've never had to do that before since it's sitting in sort of warm garage.

Last edited by Term3; 12-24-2012 at 05:56 AM.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:46 AM
Illiana Chapter Director

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
He's talking about the Camshaft and Crankshaft connectors. When it dies and then cranks and won't start, what is your ICP showing?
Old 12-29-2012, 10:50 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
having the same problem changed the dummy plugs, just got done changing the stc fittings on the HPOP today (hell of a job) as well as the oil but still having problems.

In the morning on the first start the FICM voltage drops to about 42.5V battery showing about 11V (btw replaced the battery's as well)

ran the truck for about 10 miles, had it parked for about an hour and a half, and it wouldn't start. Cranked till oil pressure gauge came to life (about 15 sec. crank then stopped and cranked again and it started. ICp pressure while driving with out hitting the gas runs at about 650 to 750, once I touch the gas pedal is goes to its regular ways 1200 1400.

I'm stumped pissed and frustrated.

Any suggestion would be appreciated
Old 12-29-2012, 10:53 AM
Illiana Chapter Director

You have a lot of air in the system which will contribute to the long crank for a while.
Old 12-29-2012, 02:31 PM
Premium Member

Now that's it warmed up to near zero think I'll start crawling all over my motor. Damn I wish my AE was working, may call them how to back to an older version so I can have it hooked up and hopefully log something that sheds light on my issue.

Old 12-29-2012, 02:46 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastiff View Post
having the same problem changed the dummy plugs, just got done changing the stc fittings on the HPOP today (hell of a job) as well as the oil but still having problems.

In the morning on the first start the FICM voltage drops to about 42.5V battery showing about 11V (btw replaced the battery's as well)

ran the truck for about 10 miles, had it parked for about an hour and a half, and it wouldn't start. Cranked till oil pressure gauge came to life (about 15 sec. crank then stopped and cranked again and it started. ICp pressure while driving with out hitting the gas runs at about 650 to 750, once I touch the gas pedal is goes to its regular ways 1200 1400.

I'm stumped pissed and frustrated.

Any suggestion would be appreciated
Whats the ICP pressure while cranking? Also your FICM is done if it's hitting 42v.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:33 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

So I guess I'll have to safe up for a new FICM, I'll have to check the ICP cranking pressure on start up, I unplugged the ICP sensor so I'll have to put that back. anyone know any good deals on FICM's?
Old 01-07-2013, 09:39 AM
Illiana Chapter Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastiff View Post
So I guess I'll have to safe up for a new FICM, I'll have to check the ICP cranking pressure on start up, I unplugged the ICP sensor so I'll have to put that back. anyone know any good deals on FICM's?
Good deal
FICM Repair.com - Your Source for FICM Repair

Best product

FICM Bullet Proof Fuel Injection Control Module Update
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.