Cold Start Issue Still After New Glow Plug System - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2012, 01:12 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cold Start Issue Still After New Glow Plug System

Hey everybody!

New here but need some real tech advice. 2000 7.3 with slight mods. Had cold starting issue begin after about 130k. Truck will puff white smoke and not start after a night below 40 degrees. This typically happens in fall when I go hunting in Arizona. If I continue to quickly turn the ignition one time after another it will eventually start if the batteries don't get to low in the process(tons of smoke).

Ok, I bought the new kit. Plugs, relay, valve cover gaskets, pigtails. Had tech install. Tech advised wires were fried and so on. So replaced all parts. Great, I thought I would be good........But, its fall, so went hunting and had same problem just like before everything was renewed.

Could it be a faulty injector? injector orings? glow plug relay(even though it was new)?.

Any advice might help diagnose.

Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2012, 09:17 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I've been having the same issue with my 97 PS. I have replaced all the same parts you have. I don't get it. My truck also will have a rough idle when it does start but will do it whether it's hot or cold outside and whether the engine is warmed up or cold. Does it probably 90% of the time. Like a "cammed" lopy rough idle unless I get on the throttle a little bit then get off the throttle it will idle down to about 400 then idle back up to regular idle after a few seconds then no problems after that. But as soon as I shut it off and then start it up again same thing! Have to get on the throttle for a few seconds idle it up to about 1300 then its fine. Has power pulls nice otherwise no problems. Checked the ICP plug and it's dry. I unplugged the ICP and it would start then die after about 5 seconds. So hopefully that results proves the ICP is functioning properly. I have replaced so much on this truck and I'm about done trying to fix this problem. I was going to clean out the fuel pressure regulator screen just for the heck of it to see if there is any improvement. Last thing I will do is check the FPR (behind fuel bowl). Mechanic did a buzz test and it checked out fine too and no codes. Can anybody give some insight on this? Replaced Valve cover gaskets, cam sensor, glow plugs, gpr, map sensor, oil was changed only 4,000 miles ago, fuel filter only about 3,000 miles on it and it's still pretty clean looking, ran sea foam through it, took injectors out and cleaned them up with seafoam, oil level is at full mark and HPOP reservoir is topped off too. My truck has this issue in all weather temps, and if engine is hot or cold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.