6.0 power loss - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2012, 07:18 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.0 power loss

I am a new member, but have been reading from the site for a long time. I purchased a 2004 F350 SD about a month ago and so far I am having many problems that seem to never end, so I am now looking for some help. The first issue is when pulling my 5th wheel (weight 13500) up a long mountain here in Tenn the truck starts out at 70 mph then half way up mountain speed is down to 55 with a boost of 24-25 psi, then boost drops to 6-7 psi and I top hill at less than 30 mph. All gauges show ok at that time. I have gotten engine oil temps over 250 at times also but truck seems to run ok. I have no smoke of any kind. I have installed new oil (shell rotella syn15-40) oil filter, 2 fuel filters, REV Xoil additive, blue high pressure fuel spring, turbo vanes cleaned and new unisun ring in turbo, larger oil return turn tube, and a edge evolution programmer. The truck does have a EGR delete kit on it already. The FICM has been checked when cold, it is good. The truck does have 4 injectors sticking until oil warms a little (2-3 min). Any help would be great because so far the mechanic has no ideal. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2012, 01:31 PM

what are your ect reading when your eot is over 250?
Old 08-09-2012, 01:45 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdb820 View Post
what are your ect reading when your eot is over 250?
I do not have the egt probe installed yet.
Old 08-09-2012, 01:49 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Engine coolant temp not pyro temps. Use your programmer to check ect
Old 08-09-2012, 01:58 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyTractorsSexy View Post
Engine coolant temp not pyro temps. Use your programmer to check ect
Oh ok. The mechanic said the oil cooler was stopped up because he scaned some codes and the oil temp was 50 degrease different. Could the Egt be getting to high? It does this with or without the programmer. The programmer is set on tow mode.
Old 08-09-2012, 02:01 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
If your oil cooler is stopped up it could be cutting oil pressure witch is what runs your truck so that could result in high temps and power loss and if it's stopped it should blow up pretty soon. Get it replaced asap oil pressure fire injectors and cools turbo and a number of things that could hurt power
Old 08-09-2012, 02:54 PM

Stop driving your truck until it gets a new oil cooler or you will be buying a new motor. My advice is to bulletproof it when u get the new cooler
Old 08-09-2012, 03:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Stop driving your truck until it gets a new oil cooler or you will be buying a new motor. My advice is to bulletproof it when u get the new cooler
Thanks for the replys. The truck is in the shop right now getting checked. They are putting on a coolant filter to filter out some of the dirt before they install a new oil cooler. But they have no ideal why the turbo is shutting down. I have gotten the code p2290 (injctor control pressure too low) before and after installing the programmer. They are tring to figure out the turbo problem before they take apart part of motor to save on labor.
Old 08-09-2012, 03:38 PM

Injector pressure is low because of low oil pressure due to oil cooler being clogged
Old 08-12-2012, 06:58 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Injector pressure is low because of low oil pressure due to oil cooler being clogged
The mechanic said the HPOP is bad (1500 psi at WOT not 3000), also oil cooler is bad. Now my questions is how reliable is this motor after installing a new HPOP, oil cooler, engine coolant filter system, unisun ring in turbo, cleaning turbo vanes, large oil drain line on turbo high pressure fuel spring? The previous owner has already done a EGR delete, and said he had new headgaskets installed but he went back with head bolts not studs about a year ago. He did not pull with this truck only a daily driver. After only having this truck 6 weeks I am thinking about selling it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.