I am new and have issues (7.3 psd) - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2012, 06:48 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I am new and have issues (7.3 psd)

hi my name is rob and i am new here. i have had my truck for a year and a half. just for some background i have a 1994.5 psd 4x4 5 speed 185,000 mi 3" downpipe to 4" back, intake, tony wildman tuner with extreem (100hp), lifted on 37s, 355 gears.

heres where my issues started. 4 months ago i was driving, about 3 minutes after startup it had no power and billowing black smoke. it stalled a few seconds later. it wouldnt restart for about 10 mins. when it restarted it seemed to run fine althow it had an extended crank for about a week after.

now 4 months later its been running fine untill last week i was camping and when i went to leave it did the same thing. it was about 2 mins after startup and it had no power and stalled. it didnt take so long to restart this time (about 4 mins) i took up and down the road and it had thick black smoke but ran alright untill i got on it then it would spit and sputter then stalled on me when i was on it at around 55 mph. i pop started it and it fireed right back up. then ran fine except the extended crank. the extended crank was gone by the time i got home (200 mi) and it ran fine the whole way.

now my real issue: both times i was a little low on oil ( was on stick but below the low mark). in the past i have had to add about 5-9 qts between oil changes (5000 mi) i do dribble oil but not a ton. i will leave maby 2 drops the size of a quarter when i park all day at work. in the past week i have gone threw 6+ qts with no extra leaking. i also am smoking at an idle white/ grey. before anyone blames the tuner i pulled it out last week when i got home from camping in case that was the sorce of my stalling issue. i have noticed a oil burning smell on decell engine braking for about 2 months and have noticed more black smoke on accell (did have tuner). i pulled both sides of intake side of turbo and found very slight oil resadue but not 6 qts in 600 mi worth. i dont know alot about diesels as i work in a shop that wont tuch them. when i felt the blades in the turbo they do have slight up and down play ( dont know if it was excessive).

sorry for the long post but didnt want to leave any info out. also sorry for my spelling i know i suck at it. hope someone can help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2012, 01:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have been doing a little more research and thinking it may be Injector o rings. Does this sound accurate?
Old 08-08-2012, 09:33 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Not sure if these guys would be of help but try giving them a call.
Diesel Parts - DotComDiesel.com
Old 08-08-2012, 09:39 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I would also be suspicious of the injector o-rings. they wo;uld cause laong cranking and oil lose and produce lots of black smoke.
Old 08-09-2012, 04:06 AM

injector orings, possibly the turbo, maybe (slightly) oil rings on engine.

The injector orings can leak and I think another symptom is oil in the coolant. Might want to check that.

The turbo, when you had up and down play, was it enough that the turbo wheel could or would rub the housing? That is bad. If it isn't rubbing the housing then it might be ok.

Third, the rings. The only reason I bring it up is because it is possible and I would try and rule out as much as possible before condeming anything in the bottom end. I am not saying that the rings are shot but it is a good idea to keep in the back of your head when diagnosing.

My first guess is the injectors/orings.
Old 08-11-2012, 04:08 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Turbo wheel can't tuch housing, as for oil rings (piston) i had that in mind but put that idea on hold because I have had bad rings on other cars and it was a slower onset. This came on real quick like an o ring riped. I know an oil ring can break but I am leaning (hopeing) away from that one. Doing Injector o rings today so will soon find out if that's the cause.
Old 08-11-2012, 05:36 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

So they where Deff leaking. When I took fuel plug out of the back of the head lots of oil came out with the fuel. Runs a lot better now, not that I noticed it running poorly before.
Old 08-11-2012, 05:41 PM

Good deal. Hope it clears up for ya.
Old 08-12-2012, 07:48 PM

glad to hear you got it. Also oil in the coolant was mentioned- that is a symptom of a cracked injector cup, not o-ring.
Old 08-13-2012, 02:42 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Still running good. Drives like a new truck. I think I may have had issues going on the whole time I have owned it because it never felt like it had this much power. It didn't have any coolent in the oil or oil in coolent. Injector cups all looked good visually. Only one that had a slight issue was cyl 5 had a big pile of carbon in the cup. The Injector came out hard and there was carbon baked all in the cup and on the Injector. The hold down bolts for this Injector where a little loose so I beleve it was pushing compression up into the cup. All bolts torqued to 120 in/lbs and seems all good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
oil burning, sputtering, stalling

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.