4r100 running hot - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2012, 06:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
4r100 running hot

I am a new user and appreciate any help. I have a rebuilt jasper 4r100 with approximately 40k that is running hot. I just installed gauges. My transmission temp gauge was reading up to 205 degress at highway speeds (unloaded) after installing a tru max cooler (gauge installed after cooler, prior temps unknown). It would reach this temp fairly quick. I have since bypassed the stock finned cooler and temps still reach 195 degrees unloaded at highway speeds. It takes almost an hour of driving to reach this temp (big improvement, obviously stock cooler clogged). In town I rarely exceed 180 degrees, so short trips are not an issue. 195 degrees on the highway 72mph unloaded sounds high even for Houston,TX. Any ideas?

2001 ford f250 platinum edition 4x4 crewcab..7.3..236k..4"magnaflow exhaust...6637 intake..isspro a pillar... stock sct tuner set on "street" tune.

Thanks again for any help
Jordan

Last edited by jordang; 06-21-2012 at 07:54 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2012, 06:52 PM

I just went through this same problem with my truck. There is a bypass valve/line on the side of your transmission. This valve will sometimes fail and let the fluid bypass the cooler. The reason for this valve is to protect the transmission in the case of a plugged cooler or fluid loop. The rear of the tranny will not run dry and self destruct. It will just get hot, but allow you time to limp to a shop. My tranny was running 200 - 220 unloaded. Now with a new bypass assy, it runs 160 at the heat of the day (I live in Houston too) and 140 at night. Order one from Tousley, or pay big Bux at the local stealership. Oh yes, consider a 6.0 cooler also.

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app
Old 07-26-2012, 06:55 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

More than likely it is the bypass tube, as stated.
Old 07-26-2012, 06:57 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

You could just eliminate the whole assembly so it goes thru the cooler no matter what.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.