Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

2002 7.3 starting Problem

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  NoRalPh 
#1 ·
i have a 2002 Ford powerstroke that starts about 90% of the time. Replaced the ECM and ICM both and still wont start everytime will just turn over and after waiting for about 30 minutes it will start. Replace fuel filter, cam sensor and crank sensor both, I do get fuel to the bowl but it still wont start everytime and always happens at bad times.

#2 ·
Steve, are ya just "throwing parts" at this or were all those parts diagnosed as having a problem before you bought new ones? :dunno:

The CPS would have been a good "guess", if that's what you were doing, but the ECM & ICP not-so-much... What about the IPR? Have you been able to get some sort of diagnostic scanner on it to monitor those sensors when you've had trouble?

Sometimes, if you're lucky ;) , you can rap on the IPR with a screwdriver handle (or something) if it becomes stuck. Also maybe examine the plug & wires going to it, many people have found chafed & bare wires at the plug that can, intermittently, short.

Again, the best solution is always to Know what parts aren't doing their job by using a scanner (unfortunately, it takes a professional model like a Snap-On, Ford, or AutoEnginuity to be of any use) before replacing them.

You sound like you're checking the right stuff, fuel in the bowl etc., and the only thing I can add would be that if you have a performance chip of some sort, remove it as a test maybe...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.