EGR Issues related to High Pressure Oil Coupler? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2012, 11:23 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
EGR Issues related to High Pressure Oil Coupler?

My 2005 F250 6.0 broke down On Interstate 80 and was towed to a Ford Dealer in Elko NV. After waiting for two days in Elko they told me that it was the High Pressure Oil Coupler and that 4 of the 8 dummy plugs were leaking. They replaced the coupler and all of the plugs, charged the batteries and sent me on my way. 300 miles later I get the CEL and the ABS lights, lack of power, smoke etc... I was able to limp it home. I was pulling a 4000 lb trailer. After I unhooked the trailer it was as if nothing had happened, drove great, no smoke, power, the CEL stayed on but the ABS light is off. I took it to my local Ford dealer. They haven't told me the whole story but the service manager said it had lots of codes in memory pertaining to the injectors and a new code, PO 404, pertaining to the EGR. My question is this, would the work that was done changing out the High Pressure Oil Coupler, tubes and Dummy Plugs foul the EGR? and would the work also cause injector codes to be in memory?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2012, 11:48 AM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
Nope that wouldnt foul the EGR. EGR failures are common. Too bad they didnt catch it when you had the other stuff done.

I recommend deleting it if you're in a state that doesnt emissions test diesels.

If you are I recommend the Bulletproof Diesel EGR cooler
Old 06-02-2012, 07:17 PM
Premium Member

I priced out a EGR valve NIB from Motorcraft at $277. It looks like a pretty easy job to replace, especially for a trained mechanic. Maybe books at 1 hr? I've read alot of posts here where EGR jobs have been $1,000 or more. What are they going to come at me with, Manifold cleaning, EGR cooling tube replacement etc???

I dont have emission testing (yet). I see different kits, some that require removal of the turbo and others that just have a plug for the EGR. Are they all good? some not so good, some not good?
Old 06-03-2012, 03:41 AM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
Its generally not the valve thats the issue. Its cooler failure. If you dont have emissions delete the cooler
Old 06-03-2012, 07:04 PM
Premium Member

I'll have to get this fixed before I can do the delete to abide by my extended warranty which still has two years and about 40,000 miles until it expires. Reading my warranty I see that the EGR is listed under electronics and is not covered. The warranty does cover "Hard Lines." Would the EGR cooler be considered a hard line?
Old 06-04-2012, 06:44 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Sounds like your EGR valve was sticking... Pull it and give it a thorough cleaning with brake fluid being careful not to get it into the internals of the valve itself. It's a pain to get it out, but I'll venture to say it's REALLY dirty...

Dave's assessment is spot on for a failing EGR cooler, but that doesn't sound like your problem. If the cleaning procedure doesn't fix the problem, replace the valve.
Old 06-06-2012, 09:50 AM
Premium Member

I learned today that it needs an EGR Valve and a Fuel Injector Pressure Regulator Valve.
Old 06-08-2012, 04:37 PM
Premium Member

Rat Farts.... Called a few ago and was told that the EGR was wet. Just as suspected, EGR cooler needs to come off. I'll probably have to go to war with the Warranty Co. if I want to put on the Bullett Proof version. My service manager says that this particular company isn't keen on owner supplied parts without a Ford part number and thinks that it will void the warranty in the future... Even though it's a far superior upgrade and will probably cure the issue forever. I'll have to call them myself to make sure I'm not getting a sales pitch... Thanks for your help guys.
Old 06-11-2012, 05:54 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Sucks to hear that they won't allow you to use the BPD EGR cooler. Keep us posted on what you find out from your warranty company.
Old 06-12-2012, 02:36 PM
Premium Member

I just came back from the dealer. It's now escalated to rebuilding the turbo, due to it being "gummed up" as he put it. He also said that they need to flush the system. He's waiting to hear back from the warranty co. for approval on the work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.