I need a little help with a P1211 fault code - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2012, 04:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I need a little help with a P1211 fault code

I need a little help with a P1211 fault code in a 2002 7.3 Powerstroke engine.
I drive down the road, and the check engine light comes on. The engine loses power then the smoke pours out. I pull off to the side of the road and shut the engine down and wait about two minutes. Then I restart the engine, the fault code disappears for about ten minutes or when I go above two thousand rpms. When I came back to the shop where I work I put the scan tool on it. The fault code came across with a P1211.After checking the ICP I found oil coming through the center to the plug connector. I replaced the ICP sensor and cleared the code. I took it for another road test and nothing had changed. I limped it back to shop and this time put the scanner on it with the data stream. At an idle the ICP, IPR, % of duty cycle and the ICP voltage were all normal readings. I then took it out on the road. While on the road with the half open throttle I noticed the % duty cycle was going up and fast. At 53% the code popped on my scanner and on the dashboard. At 63% cycle duty I froze the frame on the scanner and have these results: Injector control duty cycle 63.1%
Injector control voltage 2.77 v
Injector control pressure 1979.59
I only have seen 2750 psi at the most on control pressure. Now my questions: What causes the injector duty cycle to peak so high and past the limit? I noticed when the check engine light came on noticed that the engine would miss for about 5 to 8 minutes, then smooth out. The Injector Control pressure at that time was at 490 psi. Iím ready to change the IPR control but I am wondering if there is a way to test this. Can a P1211 fault code come on if there is a loss of oil pressure down stream say in the injector area from a bad oring? There are no leaks outside from the lines or anything exterior that I can see. I donít like to play guessing games so if anybody out there has any info on diagnosing this please let me know.
Mark
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2012, 04:30 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

P1211 sets if ICP is 410 psi above or 280 psi below the desired pressure for 7.5 seconds.
It's setting off because it's getting an undesirable reading.
The IPRs can have the little connector on the back of them come loose and hopefully that's it.
Old 05-02-2012, 04:44 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the reply I checked that and also clean it .the spring lock was still latched.Is there a fitting in the head where I can test the pressure past the injectors to check leakage?
Old 05-02-2012, 04:49 PM

There are oil plugs at the ends of the HPO rails but other than that, idk how else to test that.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

If there was a leak in an injector oring I can see why the control pressure would be low.If the pressure would be high I would believe it would be a problem with the IPR. In reading up on this there is no set control pressure.Isn't the control pressure set by the ICP>PCM>ICR?How would I test this to find out if the pressure is to High or low.From what I know is what the Idle perameters are.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:22 PM

Yea. ICP reads pressure, PCM uses that and other things to determine the IPR.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:38 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

OK, so here is my question.How would you test the IPR?I have a feeling I'll be tearing the valve covers off by the weekend to check for injector orings
Old 05-02-2012, 06:21 PM

Don't know. I know it's at the bottom of the HPOP in the valley.
Old 05-03-2012, 05:43 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I ordered the IPR.It wont be in till tuesday.Pulling the old one out wasnt that bad.I hope this is it. I dont like to guess but I rather replace the IPR then the injector orings.I'll let you know.
Thanks
Mark
Old 05-04-2012, 07:50 PM

Im dealing with a similar problem so keep us posted. I already changed my cps and dont want to keep throwing parts at it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.