05 6.0 out of fuel - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2012, 07:22 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Unhappy 05 6.0 out of fuel

I have an 05 350 powerstroke. My problem started hauling a 10k lb trailer at 35-40 mph would start bogging down and stall like it was running out of fuel but I have a full tank. Would eventually start back up after cranking and pumping the gas. the condition has worsened and will do the same thing with no load. I tried changing the fuel filters and a pump rebuild but still the same problem! Please help.

Mods include: EGR delete, intake, exhaust, 90hp injectors, sct w/ innovative tunes, 4" lift w/ 37" toyos

Last edited by 05kngranch; 04-22-2012 at 07:27 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2012, 07:28 AM
one day at a time

Is it only when towing a load or does it act up unloaded as well? I don't think fuel delivery is your problem. You need to have the truck checked out (scanned, hooked up to the computer) by a good diesel shop or Ford garage.
Old 04-22-2012, 07:38 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Did you have the blue spring mod done? Sounds like you are loosing fuel pressure. With all the stuff you have done that sounds like a good canidate to me.
Old 04-22-2012, 07:59 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

It does it both loaded and unloaded. When i changed the fuel filters I also added the blue spring kit. Planning on taking it to a shop if I can't get it figured out. Just running out of ideas..
Old 04-22-2012, 10:05 AM

Well it started before you changed filters so I'm with shu on this one, it doesn't sound like a fuel delivery problem. Are you hooking a guage to it to see if you are getting any codes? I would do that before taking it to the stealership. Just in case it is a fuel problem I wouldn't run it much to prevent any damage to the injectors.
Old 04-22-2012, 11:43 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I tried hooking it up to my sct but it didn't see any codes. My buddy owns a shop in town so im going to limp it there tomorrow i guess. Thanks for the ideas! I'll let you know what I find.
Old 04-22-2012, 11:56 AM

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful. Although I have learned a lot from this site I'm not an expert on the 6 oh by anymeans. Hopefully its nothing major and a simple fix. I know a guy who had the same problem and traded his truck for a Dodge. He thought it was the nature of the truck until he rode in my 6.0 and then it dawned on him he might have had a problem.
Old 04-23-2012, 04:35 AM
one day at a time

My guess is bad FICM or bad injectors, which is why you need to hook it up to the diagnostic computer. You don't just want to throw parts at these things. That gets expensive real quick and more often then not doesn't fix the problem.
Old 05-28-2012, 05:49 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Just wanted to throw out an update. Turned out to be the fitting on the back of the hpop exploded so i was losing oil pressure. Also turned out that I had an extra 2.5 gallons of fuel mixed in with my oil. Which after testing found out that had some bad internal injector o rings. Alls well now though Thanks for all the ideas and help!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.