6.0 Injector problems - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2012, 06:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.0 Injector problems

Hey pretty new to the Diesel world, a couple of weeks ago my truck started to run a little weird and then it started to loose power on acceleration, no smoke or codes came up, but I had a diagnostic run on it and my mechanic told me that I had 3 bad injectors. I have only had the truck about 5 months now, it has 150,000 miles on it and is in great condition, minus the injector problem. My mechanic recommended to me to replace all 8 injectors and the fuel pump, just wondering what I should do here, the cost of all 8 injectors is pretty steep, just looking for a little 3rd party advise here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2012, 05:15 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I would not consider injector issues with a truck that has that many miles surprising. I am sure a search will reveal many causes to your performance concerns and some repair advice. If the tech that diagnosed your injectors correctly identify three weak injectors it would be wise to replace all eight as any conditions like poor fuel quality or low fuel pressure will have affected the entire set. Replacing only three can make the remaining five show as weak after the repair. You also run the risk of having the remaining injectors fail randomly as well. Inevitably, this will cost you more in the long run due to the labor involved.

Once the injectors are replaced I recommend CHECKING the fuel pressure. You may only need to replace the fuel pressure regulator and both filters. If your truck has a metal aft-axle fuel tank I also recommend that you have the inside of the tank inspected for rust and lining delamination. This will contaminate the system and damage the pump and the injector in a short amount of time.
Old 04-01-2012, 08:47 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

What injectors are bad? If they're all on the same side and you can't afford the entire set, you can just change the 4 on that side and see how it runs. I recently replaced all 8 on mine and i'm about the same mileage as you. It runs like a new truck now. If the bad ones are on the driver's side you can change them yourself pretty easy. I can have those 4 out and sitting on the counter at Ford buying new ones within an hour or hour and a half. Just make sure you have a good torque wrench when you put the new ones back in so you can torque them down to the correct ft pounds.

Drivers side:

Place a clean 5 gallon bucket under the radiator where the drain valve is. Unscrew the drain (3/4 wrench I think) and stand there watching the degas bottle. Once it's drained down enough so that you can't see any coolant in it, tighten the drain valve.
Next, remove the degas bottle. There's 2 bolts holding it up there, then the hoses that go to it.
Remove the big turbo air intake hose that goes from your air filter to the turbo. You'll take out the 2 pieces that lead to the air filter itself.
Now you're down to your FICM. Be gentle with it. It's the silver computer mounted on your valve. Remove it and the brackets that hold it in place. There's 3 plugs on the bottom you'll have to squeeze and pull out.
By now you're staring at the valve cover. Remove the bolts that hold it down and pull it and it's gasket off.
Under it is a high pressure oil rail held down by 8 bolts. Towards the firewall you'll see a big 3/8 screw in the oil rail. This is your stand pipe. Unscrew it and remove the pipe. It's about 9 inches long and has some o rings on it. Now take a T30 torx bit with a 3/8 ratchet and pull the 8 bolts out that hold the rail down. GENTLY pry up on the top of the oil rail with a screw driver (towards the center) using the top of the rocker box as your leverage. When you feel it pop loose, grab ahold of it and lift it up. Let the oil drain out of it down into the rocker box before you remove it.
That's it. You're down to the injectors now.
Take an 18 or 19mm deep socket and use it to push the electrical connectors through their holes in the top of the rocker box after you remove the clip and unplug them from the harness. Next to the injector you'll see a T45 bolt. That's what holds each injector into the head of the engine. Use an extension and 3/8 ratchet with a T45 socket bit and unscrew it. The injector will come out as you unscrew the hold down clamp. Using your index, thumb and middle finger, pull the injector and it's hold down clamp out as one piece.
Pull them all out and that's it.
Before you install the new ones, take some compressed air and blow out the holes that the T45 hold down bolt screws into. There will be oil in them that won't allow you to torque them down correctly.
Put it all back together using a torque ratchet and that's all there is to it. If anyone has anything to add feel free.
Old 04-01-2012, 08:50 AM

A picture says a thousand words....
Attached Thumbnails
6.0 Injector problems-100_0536.jpg   6.0 Injector problems-100_0540.jpg  
Old 04-01-2012, 08:54 AM

If they're on the passenger side it's basically the same process only a little tighter area to work in due to the HVAC box being in the way over there. You can save several hundred dollars in labor by learning to change them yourself. Unfortunately the cost of the injectors themselves are $267 each which is the biggest part of the expense.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.