Calling all 7.3 experts....1999 F250 S/D with odd habits! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2012, 10:36 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Location: Alberta, Canada, Out in the sticks on a small farm.
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Calling all 7.3 experts....1999 F250 S/D with odd habits!

I have a conundrum that is driving me slowly around the bend...

My ol Faithful has been getting moody, and here be the symptoms;

If I don't use or fire up the unit daily, and let it sit for more than a day it absolutely doesn't want to start. Yet it I have drove it to work and let it sit all day, 8-12 hours outside in the winter in -40 and she fires up like I just shut it off a few min ago.

I run 0w40 full syn oil all year round, and keep up on all maintenance like a stickler...always making sure the air and fuel filters are changed every 2-3 oil changes, and I like to run diesel fuel conditioners regularly.

The ol unit has 2 new big Ford batteries, a new starter, alternator, new glow plug solenoid, camshaft position sensor, and a ton more recent new goodies.

Now an interesting thing is, it can sit for a week, and if I plug it in overnigh it fires right up immediately. Yet if not it just cranks and cranks and cranks...
The glow plugs all tested well and seem to be working. There was a time about a month back and it was well below freezing, and my block heater wasn't at that time working, and I had to resort to the either fairy...a few days. It fired up on the either but it took a fair bit of fogging before the engine would run on it's own steam, so to speak. Kind of like the fuel siphoned back to the tank and had to pump back up to the injectors...

Ol' Faithful has at this time 487,xxx.km's and still pulls like a freight train, and runs smooth as the come when it's warmed up!

Now...any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2012, 08:38 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Anyone been down this road...?
Any similar cases?
Old 03-22-2012, 08:50 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Rig up a light on the GPR to see if it is working intermittently. Get a scanner and check IPC during startup. Setup a fuel pressure gauge to see if you still have pressure when cold..
Old 03-22-2012, 09:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thumbs up

Ok, sounds good & will do!
And I'll post results...

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.