Random Overheating - NOT blown headgasket - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2012, 06:28 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Random Overheating - NOT blown headgasket

Let me start by saying that I am a first time poster, but this forum has been helping me diagnose and fix issues on my truck for some time now just by searching old threads. I have searched all the threads I could read on overheating and tried appling it to my truck and still havent found a solution. My truck is a 07' F250 with the 6.0L powerstroke with EGR Delete, new oil cooler, new fan clutch, new water pump, new thermostat, new radiator, coolant filter, and Rotella Ultra ELC Coolant after recent flush with Restore/Restore+ and VC9. The problem is that the truck will randomly overheat while driving down the interstate and does it more often when the cruise control is set. As soon as it overheats I turn the heater on high and pull over, but there is never any heat while overheating. As soon as the heat stats blowing again the coolant temp drops like a rock. It almost seems like the thermostat is getting stuck, then when it unsticks everything is fine again, this is why I have changed the thermostat (only use OEM motorcraft parts) 3 times now thinking I had a bad/deffective thermostat. My EOT (measured on edge insight) usually runs 196-202 and ECT 192-196 when running down the interstate. When the problem occurs the ECT will slowly start creeping up and pass the EOT and get up to 230ish. Then suddenly the ECT will drop down to 184ish quickly and after that both EOT and ECT will level back out to normal running temps. It doesnt do this often, but it does randomly happen a few times per week. It doesnt happen around town only on highway, and doesnt seem to happen more or less when I am towing. By the way, I have done the self test with the kit you rent from the auto parts store for combustion gasses in coolant and show no signs of hg issues, and also took truck to local truck dealer who did a hg test and said there was nothing wrong with my truck. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!!!

Last edited by cemerson12; 03-13-2012 at 06:31 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2012, 11:19 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Anybody have any suggestions?
Old 03-16-2012, 04:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

and by the way......the truck doesnt puke out of the degas bottle when it overheats. Coolant level stays the same. Thanks!
Old 05-24-2012, 06:42 PM

is there any kind of tune on truck/ when it overheats/
Old 05-25-2012, 01:13 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

No tune. Turned out to be the lower radiator hose was collapsing. Replaced it and haven't had any more problems since.
Old 05-25-2012, 05:35 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Seems odd that it would collapse only on the highway. How old is the cap on the coolant recovery bottle?
Old 05-25-2012, 05:52 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

It is brand new. That's the first thing I changer.
Old 05-25-2012, 07:44 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Weird, I've never seen that.
Old 05-25-2012, 10:18 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cemerson12 View Post
No tune. Turned out to be the lower radiator hose was collapsing. Replaced it and haven't had any more problems since.
Yes, one thinks that seeing the system is under pressure it would not be possible

It is, one of two things may cause this

One the radiator has / is restricted and the pump is pulling more than flow through the radiator can flow, making the motor out hose have maybe 14+ PSI and the radiator out hose have a -2 or -3 pressure.

Two there is a element to the lower hose that keeps it from this, a spring inside, given the new tech one would think it would be made of something that would not “go” away or the hose itself would have walls thick to hold its shape.

Back in the 60s the cure was to use one of the universal / not molded hoses that had the spring molded into it make it more resilient to collapsing.

One should as like a pre summer look over would be when motor is cold and no pressure ( crack degas bottle cap ) grab the hose and squish it, should not collapse

One should also check all of the others also looking for swelling around the clamps and any softness along the length, could save you a roadside repair and more nothing like some slippery antifreeze under the rear tires at speed, not to take in to account a possible motor

Have fun and keep the sunny side up this summer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.