Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Turbo cool down time

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  cweiss87 
#1 ·
Does anyone with an EGT have some experience with the time it takes to cool down to a reasonble shut down temperature? I have an Edge Insight and want to set up the shut down timer. I usually let the engine idle for 3-4 minutes if I've just come off the highway, but I'd like some real info instead of my guesswork.

Thanks,

JW

#3 ·
I would imagine if you have the setup with the Insight, it should go off the EGT. Anywhere below 400 is where I shut mine down at. It takes FOREVER for it to get to 350*, especially in the summer

At lower elevations, it may be easier to hit the 350* mark though :dunno:. I'm at 6k ft

#4 ·
Mine gets to below 350 in less than a minute in winter and in summer it takes about 2 minutes. I have a turbo timer sset to shut down at 2 minutes after I key it off.

#5 · (Edited)
OK, that's what I'm looking for. Our climate here in the Pacific NW is usually pretty mild, but we may drive it east this summer. I think the EGT add-on is in our near future, but not right now.

My worst case is pulling into a rest area in the mountains where there's not much low speed time before stopping, and the engine may have been pulling fairly hard.

Thanks for your responses,

John

#6 ·
Usually after runnin mine hard up a hill it takes about 3-4 minutes before its down to the 350 that I have it set for on my edge

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.