Pulling Codes Tricks? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2012, 08:24 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Pulling Codes Tricks?

Is there any trick to pulling error codes on these trucks without hooking up a scanner? For example, on my Jeep, and other Chrysler products, you can turn the ignition key back and forth three times, and it will display the codes on the odometer display.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2012, 12:47 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

way too much in these new trucks for the flashing light codes. AAMCO some AutoZones most Ford shops have scanners but you want some one to provide you with a printout of the tests. If your going to pay $150 it is the least they can do is print out the results. Use the below attached file as a guide for what you want printed. If they do a Perdel test, buzz test, KOEO or KOER, Cyl Contribution test, or anything else print it. As you read thru some of the posts you will see shops "put a gage on it" and saw the fuel pressure was low so they charged for a new HPOP. Ask to see the gage that shows 2000 psi for the high side and they tell you it was low on the low side so we know it was low on the high side. Not a confirming test. If they say the duty cycle was high and the pressure low it could very well be the HPOP.

Basically even FORD Stealers will rake you for $1000-4000 and not be able to prove what was broken and why they took out parts. Get a quality scan and ask for the results to be printed out. This way they cannot lie as easily. If you put you location in your profile someone may be near you with a scanner. I know I started charging $50 locally just so I can buy the rest of the vehicle software bundles on my AE. I print out or copy to a disk all the tests with a copy of my collection of troubleshooting files. It's all about saving the benjamins.

The below file is a form used at FORD for the tests they can do. I don't think all the mechanics actually know what the tests show but they will run the test anyways. GOOD mechanics are hard to find for the PowerStroke.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf hardstart[1].pdf (219.8 KB, 81 views)
Old 04-15-2012, 04:52 PM

Has anyone started a list of normal ranges to use in AE? I just ordered the software.
Old 04-15-2012, 07:23 PM

I guess I have e-mailed or witten a letter to every scanner manufacturer i have found asking why they can not put a colum listing the normal range of each sensor right next to the curent sensor value. Four yeas and not a word from anyone.

i
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.