Oil in the intercooler line? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2012, 07:04 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Oil in the intercooler line?

Hi all, I'm new to diesels so I'd appreciate a little help here. My story is, I replaced the thermostat in my 04 F350 6.0L on Sunday. My wife was so itching to get going I rushed and forgot to tighten a band clamp on the intercooler line that runs under the air filter down by the intercooler itself. (I'm guessing that's the intercooler intake pipe?)

Well today while I was driving with my wife the engine would cut out when the turbo would wind up to a certain point. It seemed to me like a pressure leak somewhere. Knowing my history I figured I forgot to tighten something, and sure enough I found a loose clamp. After I fixed that, no more engine stalling on acceleration.

Here's the weird thing, and my question...
When I took off the intercooler pipe on Sunday I believe it was clean on the inside. When I took it off tonight to inspect the rubber boot I found that there was oil in the pipe. It looked like black engine oil.

My question is, is this normal? I'm guessing that it is not, and that when the turbo spun up, and built boost, then suddenly there was a massive depressurization, the oil that oils the turbo got sucked into the intercooler pipe. Does that seem plausible?

Thanks!
George
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2012, 07:10 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
No, it is crank case vent oil and is normal. Why you didn't see it before I don't know. This oil is eating your intake boots and mixing with EGR soot to coat the inside of your intake manifold. Performing a CCV mod will stop the oil from entering the intake.
Old 02-07-2012, 07:12 PM

Wow, thanks for the quick reply. Where can I find out more about the "CCV" mod?
Old 02-07-2012, 07:19 PM

Ooops, like a stupid newb I asked before I searched. I searched now and see what CCV is. I may have to look into doing that. Thanks.
Old 02-07-2012, 07:30 PM
Premium Member

No ooops, don't worry.

CCV mod is well worth it. I have the NCHornet kit and love it. There is a recent thread on here for a $25 CCV mod. Just search around and find something you like.
Old 02-07-2012, 07:43 PM

While I'm at it, are there any other mods you'd suggest? I just found something colled "DPF Delete" mod I'll look into. Anything else?
Old 02-07-2012, 07:55 PM
Premium Member

No DPF on a 6.0. Poke around various posts. There are a lot of guys that have links to everything you need to know about your 6.0. Look for PGreenSVT and NYC F-350. I think I have their names correct.

The quick list is
CCV
coolant filter
blue fuel spring
EGR delete
gauges.you have to monitor what the engine is doing..gauges in the cluster tell you nothing.
Beyond this you can tune for fuel mileage. That will add another short list of mods.

Baby steps grasshopper.
Old 02-09-2012, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus_hauler View Post
Knowing my history I figured I forgot to tighten something, and sure enough I found a loose clamp. After I fixed that, no more engine stalling on acceleration.
HELP!!! The problem's back. The engine is feeling like it is cutting out when driving at 30-35 MPH on level ground. And there's a slight grinding or scraping sound. The strange thing is that after I took out the output pipe going from the turbo to the intercooler, cleaned out the oil, and put it back in the problem went away for a couple of days. So what happens if the oil builds up too much? Would that cause this issue?

I was going to do the $25 CCV mod anyway. Do I need to also plan a turbo clean / rebuild?

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!
Old 02-09-2012, 07:10 PM

Another scary thought occurs to me. Is there a sure-fire way to test to see if I've got a blown head gasket and coolant is leaking into a cylinder?
Old 02-09-2012, 07:15 PM

Or, do I understand right that the turbo is fed oil? Could it be leaking or blowing out it's own oil causing havoc?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.