Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

'06 6.0 running really rough in the morning

3K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  Lilfarmrboy 
#1 ·
I have an '06 6.0 with 160,000miles. Mods include bulletproof EGR and external oil cooler. Flashpac tuner always on economy tune unless towing. 5" straight exhaust. It started a few weeks ago running a little rough in the morning, but cleared up after a few minutes. I just did a fresh oil and filter change and fuel filter change. And now it is running even more rough when cold. It takes 15 min of idoling to get to temp(160 degrees ) before it wants to move. Any thoughts before I take it to the stealer... I mean dealer. Thanks for the help.

#4 ·
Same issue here.. Shifts really hard in the morning, engine runs really rough when cold, barely wants to move.

#8 ·
I know that's true. But they are very money hungry trucks. Maintenance is expensive on them to begin with. Not trying to be rude, but if you don't need it and can't afford it, you might have to get rid of it.

#12 ·
I have an '06 6-litre with 185,000 miles - owned since new, synthetic 5-40 ever 10,000 miles. Stock except for Sinister EGR delete and new EGR cooler. In the winter I keep it in a heated garage or plug it in and I have a remote start so I give it a few minutes to warm up when not home. But now in April I have had to leave it out and havent plugged it in The morning start-up ritual is like the battle at Big Horn…… The Ford wins the battles but methinks the war is being lost……
I have been wondering about compression. Does anyone know hard is it to do a compression test on an 06?

#14 ·
I change mine at every 7.5k no matter what, and thats running 5w-40 Rotella T6 with 2 bottles of REV X for good measure. So far my truck has been running great on startups. My neighbor has a 6.0 as well and his runs like it has a briggs and stratton in it with leaking rings untill it warms up. It's either injectors going, or a bad FICM...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.