New to the site... question 99 F350 7.3 liter - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2011, 05:26 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New to the site... question 99 F350 7.3 liter

History... 99 F350 7.3 liter... purchased it from a one owner 260k miles... I have had it for 10,00 miles.. and have had to replace crank shaft and cam shaft timing sensor..

Warm weather it runs like a champ.. rain comes and it will shut off at a stop sign... and sometimes will skip like its the cam shaft timing sensor again..

During colder air temps it will accelerate fine... then when it gets to running rpm it sounds like the turbo tries to kick it and it bogs.. .I accelerate again and it smooths out.. then when returning to cruise idle it does the same thing...

The previous owner put an aftermarket K&N air filter on it... Can this be the cause for both issues? Will it help if I return to a standard air filter.. I haven't cleaned the K&N yet so that is in the works..

I am a new deisel owner so trying to make sure this trucks lasts me a long time... It is the one I have wanted for years.

Comments welcome... Thanks

TC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2011, 05:33 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I also have the receipt from the new filter that was installed just before I purchased it.
Old 12-08-2011, 07:36 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to ToMang07
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomcatmc5 View Post
History... 99 F350 7.3 liter... purchased it from a one owner 260k miles... I have had it for 10,00 miles.. and have had to replace crank shaft and cam shaft timing sensor..

Warm weather it runs like a champ.. rain comes and it will shut off at a stop sign... and sometimes will skip like its the cam shaft timing sensor again..

During colder air temps it will accelerate fine... then when it gets to running rpm it sounds like the turbo tries to kick it and it bogs.. .I accelerate again and it smooths out.. then when returning to cruise idle it does the same thing...

The previous owner put an aftermarket K&N air filter on it... Can this be the cause for both issues? Will it help if I return to a standard air filter.. I haven't cleaned the K&N yet so that is in the works..

I am a new deisel owner so trying to make sure this trucks lasts me a long time... It is the one I have wanted for years.

Comments welcome... Thanks

TC
IMHO, I would start with getting rid of the K&N, as they let too much dust get by and can cause the turbo and/or engine to get "dusted" causing a blown turbo and/or loss of compression.

It would b e a good idea to pull off the intake tubes, too, and check the turbo wheel for damage, and shaft for play. (In/out or side to side.)

As far as the cam sensor, it's about $30 from Ford, but only use one from Ford or International (for a T444E)

Other than that, it might be a good idea to find someone with a good scanner, (generic OBDII doesn't work on these trucks) to check for stored codes.

Doe it ONLY have issues when it gets wet?

Old 12-08-2011, 08:54 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Okay, I am in full agreement with the K&N... I will work on that... Before the new Cam Sensor it would do it randomly... after the sensor it only done it when it was raining.

I have a good mechanic with a good scanner...

After this week, I will put it back in the shop for some good cold morning running which should show the codes.

Thanks for your reply...
Old 12-08-2011, 09:05 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to ToMang07
What kind of cam sensor did you put in it?

Did you inspect the wiring harness/plug for the CPS when you installed it?

Maybe try some dielectric grease in the plug itself?

The only other common "rain" problem that is common that I can think of is the window seals are known to go, leaking water on the fuse box and/or GEM module or PCM. Check out under the dash next time you have issues for any signs ow water.
Old 12-08-2011, 10:31 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks brother... I will check on that.. and as far as the brand goes I am not sure... He has been a very good mechanic on my Dad's 89 F350...

and I will check on the leaks.... Thanks,
Old 09-26-2012, 12:38 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Diesel is fixed...

The best advice I had was to put a Ford cam shaft sensor back on the truck. It was the aftermarket sensor making it stutter and quit in the rain. She runs like a champ now wet or dry.

Thanks everyone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.