Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

07 psd Intermittent whistle or "tea kettle"

2K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  MDeVoe 
#1 ·
Im having trouble with my new 07 6.0 psd bought used 115k. Im having an Intermittent whistle or "tea kettle" sound varied with RPM and bad mpg. can somebody please help

#3 ·
Tea kettle noise will most likely bo over-pressurizing of the cooling system and the degas bottle cap venting the pressure. What kind of shape is the oil cooler and egr cooler in?

#6 ·
i was loosing some coolant and my heat sometimes doesnt work if im stoped
but i replaced some bad intercooler boots on the passenger side and the beaping hasnt been as loud or as frequent.im not sure on oil cooler or the egr? i will check the egr cooler but idk about the oil cooler. i know where its at but dont know what to look for. im new to diesels and onlly know so much.

#8 ·
To check the oil cooler you need to get a data monitor of some sort. I personally like the Edge Insight CTS, but the ScangaugeII is a great option as well. You need to monitor the difference between oil temp and coolant temp. If the oil is hotter by more than 15* then you need a new oil cooler. The coolant loss could be a bad egr cooler or again bad heads or cracked heads.

#10 ·
Yep diag tools(scan tools) will give you the necessary readings, but in my opinion you need to have a good data monitor on the truck all the time. Invest in a data monitor:thumb:

#11 ·
you have a 6.0L, you need a full time gauge. You have to get out on the highway to check the temps properly, hard to do with Autozone's code reader even if it would tell you EOT and ECT. If you're going to keep the truck then buy the gauge. If you like fancy, get the Insight; if you care more for function over form, get the ScanGauge.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.