Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

2001 7.3L boost leak

23K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  late_99_PSD 
#1 ·
I put twenty pounds of compressed air in my turbo inlet to look for leaks when i noticed i was leaking air through my exhaust is this normal or do i have a seal going bad in my turbo? The leak was small but noticable. I can only build twenty pounds of boost under a heavy load with my my super chips programer in the performance tune.

#2 ·
Do you have the ccv blocked off or rerouted?

#5 ·
If you put your boost leak detector before the crank case vent then your pushing air into through the intakes on the head, try clamping it to the intake tube after removing the hard plastic piece the crankcase vent is located on. Then go slow up to 15 psi and see how that works out for you. When I did mine I added a shutoff valve on the boost leak detector that I made so I could pressure up to 15psi watching my in cab gauge, then shut the valve, and remove and shut off the compressor so I could hear things easier. Also wetting the intercooler boots with soapy water might help. Here is a pic of mine. Just outta curiosity have you recently lost boost and have made more with the tune you have?

Attachments

#6 ·
Another thing to check is the uppipes. I thought for the longest time that I had a boost leak that I could never track down because I never saw any soot on my firewall or on the uppipes from on top of the truck, I climbed under it one day with a flash light and low an behold two soot lines in a flair shape coming off the passenger side pipe. When I took it off it fell out of the collector without even loosening the bolts.

#7 ·
my boost leak detector is the same only missing the shut off valve. i use to be able to make 25lbs of boost. i now have the wicked wheel instaled in my turbo and i seem to have gained throttle response but lost boost pressure is this common with this mod? i also recently unhooked the red line to my waste gate and noticed i make boost quicker i was told that that could mean my back pressure sensor is plugged or could be bad is this true?

#9 ·
Um, your valves were probably on overlap. Try barring the engine over to see if it stops. If it was going in his CCV then it would go to his engine, not his exhaust.

And yeah, the WW can't make as much boost, but it dosen't matter because at that point your just making the air hot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.