Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

6.0l hard to start, blows white, then dies

3K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  master1973 
#1 · (Edited)
The problems with this truck seem to be endless. The truck as about 145k on it and here here is a list of mods and repairs:
Mods: 4" dp, 5" back, S&B intake, EGR delete, SCT X3 (presently tuned to stock)
Repairs: FICM and CAC about 3 years ago, entire cooling system 2 years ago, new VGT solenoid, oil supply and drain tubes, new ICP and EPS, 2 new batteries, 1 injector twice, head studs and gaskets (all down within the last 45k miles as I got the truck with 100k on it).

I had replaced the injector a few months ago and the truck was running fine for about 2 months. About a month ago on my way home I stopped and let idle while I ran a quick errand (less than 2 or 3 minutes). When I came back out the truck coughing and clanking and blowing white and black smoke. I was about 3 miles from home so I headed that way and she died. I scanned her, got a Cyl 2 fault, cleared codes and tried to start to starter her. She ran for a few seconds and died. We towed her back to the house the next day. We tried to start her again and it sounded as if she were hydro-locked. I scanned codes again and got one for the EPS so I replaced it. Didn't fix problem. Ran an injector buzz test which passed. Replaced Cyl 2 injector with warrantied part because of first scan. She'll start but with several seconds of cranking. She'll blow white smoke, run OK for a few min, then get loud and die out. If I put her in drive she'll die immediately. She won't run long enough to throw any codes. I'm thinking fuel delivery but have no idea. Any thoughts?

See less See more
#3 ·
I would think EGR cooler, But you have a delete, maybe head gasket I think, getting any air bubbles in overflow bottle wile running?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.