Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

7.3 running rough and blowing blue smoke at 2300 rpm

6K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  jakeokeefe4 
#1 ·
I got a 99 7.3 turbo in a 99 19ft rollback. I bought the truck running rough, figuring it had a bad injector or two. Did a buzz test on all injectors and it told me that 3 of them were bad. I changed those three injectors the oil and a crank position sensor for good measure because it starts hard. It starts better now and i did a cylinder contribution test and it passed. But when i let it warm completely up it falls on its face at 2300 rpms and pushes out a big cloud of blue smoke. The check engine light is not on and passes the test my scan tool can do. when it is cold it runs rough for about a min or two and smooths out. I am not sure what i need to check next to get this to run right i have done a lot of reading and checked the fuel delivery system and carefully checked all my wires to my sensors. Does anyone have any ideas what could cause this? I did a compression test cold and all cylinders were around 420 psi cold. could the hpop be bad????

#4 ·
I have a 1999 7.3 single cab longed and I bought it and it has the same issue. Except with mine as soon as I start it it smokes white/blue and does it until I hit 3rd gear and it rolls coal as it should (since I have superchip) but it could be my injectors but it's blue and does it while I'm driving too so I've read up alot and the only thing I can find is a turbo that's tired. My wheel does scrape housing but only during my first few shifts after start and goes away. My truck just hit 300000 and the turbos are supposed to be replaced every 150000 everyone says rebuild but I would just get a new turbo (that's what I'm doing) let me know if it helps

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.