Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

95 7.3 PSD starting problems

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  KirkG 
#1 ·
Hi all,
I am new the the deisel world and I just bought a 1995 F250 PSD. I have had this truck for 1 month and about 1 week ago I began having problems starting it.
It starts great when it has been turned off for at least 4-5 hours but if I turn it off and go into the store or a restauraunt and come out to try and start it after it has been turned off for 15min-1hr it cranks but wont start. It seems like the fuel is not getting to the engine or it is not combusting fast enough to start. I have been spraying engine starter in the air intake and that has been working but this is obviously not a long term fix.
The glow plugs were replace before I bought it so I dont believe that to be the problem. I read on another thread about Cetane booster helping combustion. So I added some last night when I filled up, but it has not been long enough for me to tell if this is the fix or not.
I love this truck and any help in diagnosing the problem will be much appreciated.
Thanks!
Kirk

#6 ·
Im in Denver so its been 30-60 degrees.
I hooked up the OBD II and tried cranking it until the check engine light came on and didnt get any codes.
I replaced the fuel filter and did an oil change this weekend, nothing solved yet.
Im going to try an IPR valve once I save the $300 for it. I'll post if that makes any changes to the situation.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.