'97 7.3 Fuel pump? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2011, 11:02 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
'97 7.3 Fuel pump?

my '97 PSD died on me the other day driving down the road. The day before while driving to work it acted up for about 5 miles, it acted like it was running out of deisel but ran fine after about 5 minutes. That night on my way home from work the Fuel filter light on my dash turned on and off a few times. the next morning i replaced the fuel filter, 5 miles later it died on me. All my fuses were good and i replaced the IDM relay. I drained the filter bowl and cranked on it a few times and found that it was not refilling. is this an indicator that my fuel pump is out? what else could it be? Any advice would be much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2011, 01:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I don't have a suggestion; however, I am going to watch this thread closely. I also have a 97 7.3 PSD. A few weeks ago the Fuel Filter light came on intermittently. Changed the filter, and it ran fine for a week or so. Then the Fuel Filter light came back on, and went off in a few seconds. Then while driving it on the freeway, it died. Replaced the cam driven fuel pump and replaced the fuel filter again. Took it for a test drive, and after a couple miles on the freeway, it started cutting out and then died. It started back up, so we took the surface street back. There was a history of bad fuel in the rear tank so it hadn't been used for over a year. Took out both tanks, replaced the sending units and the tank selector valve blew out the lines, flushed the tanks, and put in fresh diesel. Started it and it would idle for about 15 minutes, and then died. Found the filter housing empty. Checked the line connections, all seemed good. The truck repeatedly died after 10-15 minutes of idling. Checked the Fuel Pressure: 25-45 psi, regardless of engine speed. During testing, it didn't die, so I took it for another roadtest. When I sustained 2400 rpm, the engine began to cut out after 15-20 seconds.
???
I Hope you find an answer, because it sounds a bit like my problem.
Old 11-16-2011, 01:34 PM

dirty screen in the fpr? did you check that to see if there is any blockage?
Old 11-16-2011, 10:28 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I pulled the FPR off and the screen did look dirty.. is there a way to clean it? or do I need to pick up a new one?
Old 11-18-2011, 06:22 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

that year should have a mechanical pump & i charge 250.00 + parts to change
Old 11-26-2011, 06:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

'97 has a mechanical fuel pump which works as a lift pump and feeds the injectors. Because of this dual function it is possible to have intermittent problems like you have described. I had a similar issue with my '97 and it took months to figure out because of the mechanical pump! Most dealer mechanics don't think of it because they are use to the computer telling them what is wrong and they will tell you the cause which is actually a symptom of the mechanical fuel pump going bad!
Old 12-12-2011, 12:53 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Does anyone know if the 95s have a mechanical pump as well. Mine has stalled on me twice when driving and gives the battery light. It starts fine every morning...
Old 12-12-2011, 03:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Powerstroke prior to 1999

All powerstroke engines prior to the 1999 model year had a mechanical fuel pump located in the valley directly behind the fuel filter housing! There are two fuel lines between the pump and the filter housing. 1 at the top of the pump and one near the base of the pump. The pump is operated by a cam lobe directly below it. Be careful removing the pump as the foot that rides on the cam lobe can be dislodged & broken off.
Old 12-12-2011, 04:17 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustanglx81 View Post
that year should have a mechanical pump & i charge 250.00 + parts to change
Random, so vague, and kind of tasteless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkG View Post
Does anyone know if the 95s have a mechanical pump as well. Mine has stalled on me twice when driving and gives the battery light. It starts fine every morning...
Yes.
Could be many many things. CPS possibly. Battery light is on cause it's dead maybe.
You should start your own thread cause there's a lot of things that it could and it'd take up too much room here.

OP, since you drained the fuel bowl, then cranked on it, you probably have a lot of air in the fuel rail lines to bleed out. Fill the bowl with diesel or ATF, crank a while, and keep refilling it. It should get the air out quicker and hopefully fire off.
Yes, clean the FPR screen.
You should be able to crank on it and open the valve (schraeder valve I think? like a valve stem. not exactly an OBS guy) and see if there is any fuel under pressure in there. That'll tell you if the pump is at least making some pressure.
Old 02-16-2012, 03:31 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Just searching and found this thread. Same problem for me today. Picked up truck from body shop for frame pull (accident, other persons fault) and it stopped running a couple miles down the road. Fuel filter light came on and it lost all power. Luckily I was buy an Advanced Auto so I put in a new filter. Still won't start. So I take out the filter and crank but the filter housing doesn't fill up. Has to be the fuel pump.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.