Logical troubleshooting of 7.3 with low power - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2011, 10:19 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Logical troubleshooting of 7.3 with low power

Hi, Im Frank. Active duty military. Can turn a wrench, but new to diesels in general and new owner of a 2000, 7.3, super duty. Got a great deal on the truck, overall its in exceptional condition, but confident power output is very low.

What is the logical troubleshooting of 7.3 with low power? Basically, starting with highest failure/cheapest options and working from there. Links with good pictures of components and what to look for would be helpful.

Low on money, was thinking I would take it to the dealer and have the oil changed and pay for them to troubleshoot. (hard to say what that will cost, but at least the troubleshooting should be accurate and wont waste money replacing good parts) I would prefer to go through the truck myself, hence why Im asking here first. (as there is no way I can afford to have dealer fix it, only help target problem)

The truck itself is in exceptionally good shape. Body/paint/car fax clean, definitely one of the better ones for the year and it is original paint. Tracks very well at highway speeds, though wheel has a bit too much play for my taste

120,000 miles.

Starts/runs/drives/shifts smooth with no apparent smoke,. No check engine light, all gauges read normal. It does have what Im guessing is a standard diesel rattle sound, nothing obnoxious, but apparent in the cab when running. Oil looks clean/clear, but changing anyway, just to know its good diesel oil and quality filter. (is there an article I can read on how the oil interacts with fuel system - to understand why this is so critical) I can hear the turbo faintly above 2000 RPM.

Anyway, seems to run good. Just a dog. Would love to know what to check and how to check it. Want to eliminate the cheap stuff. Or is it best to pay the dealer to identify the issue. Money is crazy tight and need to make this vehicle is reliable before I deploy to the war again. Well, it does seem reliable, but something has to be amiss. it just can't be this weak powered normally.

Thanks in advance

Frank
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2011, 07:45 PM
WNY Biodiesel Co-op

I wouldn't go to a dealer. all they'll do is hook it up and then tell you that you have bad injectors and then the problem is still there . Been there done that. You need to start with the basics , check fuel pressure, what is the boost pressure? Put in a chip and you won't believe the difference, I can't stand to drive mine in stock mode. Doesn't seem like it can get out of its own way.
Old 11-17-2011, 07:55 PM
WNY Biodiesel Co-op

Forgot to mention fuel filter , change it , so you can start fresh
Old 11-17-2011, 08:31 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRANK1234 View Post
What is the logical troubleshooting of 7.3 with low power? Can be MANY things. Basically, starting with highest failure/cheapest options and working from there. Links with good pictures of components and what to look for would be helpful.

Low on money, was thinking I would take it to the dealer and have the oil changed and pay for them to troubleshoot. The oil change will be overcharged in and of itself. (hard to say what that will cost, but at least the troubleshooting should be accurate and wont waste money replacing good parts) I would prefer to go through the truck myself, hence why Im asking here first. (as there is no way I can afford to have dealer fix it, only help target problem)

Starts/runs/drives/shifts smooth with no apparent smoke,. No check engine light, all gauges read normal. Can still have soft codes with no CEL. Gauges are just dummy gauges. Won't read red until a problem. It does have what Im guessing is a standard diesel rattle sound, nothing obnoxious, but apparent in the cab when running. Oil looks clean/clear, but changing anyway, just to know its good diesel oil and quality filter. (is there an article I can read on how the oil interacts with fuel system - to understand why this is so critical) I can hear the turbo faintly above 2000 RPM. You won't hear it too much on a stock truck.

How HEUI works and best to convert

Anyway, seems to run good. Just a dog. Would love to know what to check and how to check it. Want to eliminate the cheap stuff. Or is it best to pay the dealer to identify the issue. Money is crazy tight and need to make this vehicle is reliable before I deploy to the war again. Well, it does seem reliable, but something has to be amiss. it just can't be this weak powered normally.

Thanks in advance

Frank
The 7.3 isn't very impressive stock anyway. i replied in red.
A shop with a good code reader can read it. Or if you wanna pay the dealer they can but don't let them talk you into anything. Some people may be near you and willing to help you out with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.