Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Logical troubleshooting of 7.3 with low power

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  jesilvas 
#1 ·
Hi, I’m Frank. Active duty military. Can turn a wrench, but new to diesels in general and new owner of a 2000, 7.3, super duty. Got a great deal on the truck, overall its in exceptional condition, but confident power output is very low.

What is the logical troubleshooting of 7.3 with low power? Basically, starting with highest failure/cheapest options and working from there. Links with good pictures of components and what to look for would be helpful.

Low on money, was thinking I would take it to the dealer and have the oil changed and pay for them to troubleshoot. (hard to say what that will cost, but at least the troubleshooting should be accurate and wont waste money replacing good parts) I would prefer to go through the truck myself, hence why I’m asking here first. (as there is no way I can afford to have dealer fix it, only help target problem)

The truck itself is in exceptionally good shape. Body/paint/car fax clean, definitely one of the better ones for the year and it is original paint. Tracks very well at highway speeds, though wheel has a bit too much play for my taste

120,000 miles.

Starts/runs/drives/shifts smooth with no apparent smoke,. No check engine light, all gauges read normal. It does have what I’m guessing is a standard diesel “rattle” sound, nothing obnoxious, but apparent in the cab when running. Oil looks clean/clear, but changing anyway, just to know its good diesel oil and quality filter. (is there an article I can read on how the oil interacts with fuel system - to understand why this is so critical) I can hear the turbo faintly above 2000 RPM.

Anyway, seems to run good. Just a dog. Would love to know what to check and how to check it. Want to eliminate the cheap stuff. Or is it best to pay the dealer to identify the issue. Money is crazy tight and need to make this vehicle is reliable before I deploy to the war again. Well, it does seem reliable, but something has to be amiss. it just can't be this weak powered normally.

Thanks in advance

Frank

See less See more
#2 ·
I wouldn't go to a dealer. all they'll do is hook it up and then tell you that you have bad injectors and then the problem is still there . Been there done that. You need to start with the basics , check fuel pressure, what is the boost pressure? Put in a chip and you won't believe the difference, I can't stand to drive mine in stock mode. Doesn't seem like it can get out of its own way.

#4 ·
What is the logical troubleshooting of 7.3 with low power? Can be MANY things. Basically, starting with highest failure/cheapest options and working from there. Links with good pictures of components and what to look for would be helpful.

Low on money, was thinking I would take it to the dealer and have the oil changed and pay for them to troubleshoot. The oil change will be overcharged in and of itself. (hard to say what that will cost, but at least the troubleshooting should be accurate and wont waste money replacing good parts) I would prefer to go through the truck myself, hence why I’m asking here first. (as there is no way I can afford to have dealer fix it, only help target problem)

Starts/runs/drives/shifts smooth with no apparent smoke,. No check engine light, all gauges read normal. Can still have soft codes with no CEL. Gauges are just dummy gauges. Won't read red until a problem. It does have what I’m guessing is a standard diesel “rattle” sound, nothing obnoxious, but apparent in the cab when running. Oil looks clean/clear, but changing anyway, just to know its good diesel oil and quality filter. (is there an article I can read on how the oil interacts with fuel system - to understand why this is so critical) I can hear the turbo faintly above 2000 RPM. You won't hear it too much on a stock truck.

http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/bi...ments/114042-how-heui-works-best-convert.html

Anyway, seems to run good. Just a dog. Would love to know what to check and how to check it. Want to eliminate the cheap stuff. Or is it best to pay the dealer to identify the issue. Money is crazy tight and need to make this vehicle is reliable before I deploy to the war again. Well, it does seem reliable, but something has to be amiss. it just can't be this weak powered normally.

Thanks in advance

Frank
The 7.3 isn't very impressive stock anyway. i replied in red.
A shop with a good code reader can read it. Or if you wanna pay the dealer they can but don't let them talk you into anything. Some people may be near you and willing to help you out with it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.