Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Help! Everything I do makes it worse.

921 views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  mustanglx81 
#1 ·
I have a 99 F350 with 130k. It does not get used much. It is serviced reguraly.
After driving about 5 miles it started running rough. I accelerated and the service engine soon light came on briefly. I limped home. Upon removing the air filter I found it extremely dirty. I cleaned and reoiled it (K&N) and reinstalled it. No real difference, still running rough. I disconneted both batteries and changed the fuel filter. Reconnected batteries, started truck. It idled fine, very smooth. As I started to test drive it, it began running rough. When turning around to return (about 1/4 mile) it died and will not restart. I checked the fuel filter installation and found nothing wrong.
Any advise, other than to let someone that knows what they are doing work on it?
Also, I do not have access to a scanner.
All help and advice appreciated.

#4 ·
ToMang07
Thank you for your response. Yes, the tach moves when cranking, the WTS light comes on and goes off properly, and all fuses have check out ok. The engine will "almost start", knocking badly when it does and runs for a couple of seconds.
All help appreciated.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.