Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

01 7.3 surgeing

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  jesilvas 
#1 ·
i got a 01 7.3 after running for a bit the rpm will start to surge all while idleing when driving when the surging starts i can hear a change in engine noise i thought the waste gate was opening so i took the vaccum line off f the wates gate accuater and put a vaccum gauge on the line the gauge went backwards so it did not shw any vaccum i all so can not see were the accuater would get the vaccum from any way any info on the would be a great help also any other ideas on the surgeing i am open to sujestions this is my first diesel the truck also has a bulleydog chip and an edge box under the hood

#2 ·
Glad to have you here. :thumb:
You won't hear the waste gate open up. You will only see the difference in your boost reading because it lets exhaust bypass the turbo reducing boost. The red line will only have vacuum when the PCM tells the actuator between the green and red line to open up. Don't worry about it.
If that bully dog and edge are both hooked up at the same time, they aren't doing anything. You can't stack chips on a 7.3.
Your surging could be a Camshaft Position Sensor. Maybe the Injector Driver Module. Hard to tell. Need to plug into it and read codes. But it has to be a good reader. It's NOT an OBDII system, just an OBDII plug. I think it's a CAN system.

#3 ·
would there be codes to get if there is no check engine light on because i dont have the check engine light on and on the scanner would a snap on scan tool do the job if i gt the updates for this truck or should i take it to ford and let them run the test

#4 ·
would there be codes to get if there is no check engine light on because i dont have the check engine light on and on the scanner would a snap on scan tool do the job if i gt the updates for this truck or should i take it to ford and let them run the test
Snap on should work as long as it can run tests and such. And yes, there could be codes stored, they won't always illuminate the CEL. I currently have at least 3 due to modifications on my truck and no CEL. :wink[3]:

#5 ·
k i installed a boost gauge today it wont go over 10lbs and when i hooked a scanner up to it i got several codes p1118 manifold air temp circuit low input, p1247 turbo boost pressure low, p1211 injector control pressure above/below desired, p0603 pwertrain control mdule keep alive memery (kam) error, p0640 intake air heater control circuit i am wondering if any of theses would cause a surge and a difference in engine sound when acting up and what is needed to fix these things also the the surge is a come and go thing but with the different engine sound comes a lack in power that is most of the time when it surges the sound ges normal and i hear the turbo and the truck will take off for a few minutes the then the bad sounds will return and lose power and can n longer hear the turbo the different or bad sound is it sounds like a v8 gas engine with straight pipes any info wuld be great thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.