Defroster blowing when turning key on - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2011, 12:04 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Defroster blowing when turning key on

A couple of days ago, I went to start my truck and when I turned the key on to wait for the glow plus to go out the defroster blower/motor was on high. I have the climate control and it was turned off. I turned the key off and back on, but the blower kept blowing on high. Once the truck started, I turned the AC on and the AC blew out the vents like normal and the defroster stopped. The truck still does this now after several times of stopping and starting.

I did some google searching saw possbile vacuum issues. Below is what I checked. I did not want to do more without checking with you guys because I know some of you all know what the heck you all are talking about.

What I did:

Pulled all 3 electrical connections, 1 at a time that is connected to the vacuum pump and it had no effect.
Pulled the small hoses that are connected to the vacuum pump, 1 at a time and not difference.

I do hear the shift on the fly 4x4 engaging/disengaging each time, so that appears to be working. It comes on each time I try it even while I testing the electrical and vacuum connections.

What is my next step? Do I by a vacuum gauge tester and go that route, or take it to the shop? I am not a mechanic, but can do minor stuff? I decided not to start tracing the vacuum lines before posting here and checking in with you all.

Thanks in advance.

Tom
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2011, 06:40 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
When you say you turn on the AC is your climate control in auto?
Old 08-30-2011, 02:55 AM
Premium Member

Yes, climate control in auto.
Old 08-30-2011, 06:07 AM
Premium Member

Mine does the same thing. With the climate control in auto when you first turn the ignition key on the climate control comes on and sees a big difference in the temperature inside your truck and the temperature that you want it to get to so it goes into a maximum cooling mode which is high fan speed and defrost vent outlet position. I find it rather annoying when it is in this mode so I just raise the temperature set point up a couple of degrees above the actual temperature so that the fan slows down and it starts blowing air out the front dash vents instead of the defrost vents. Once it swings over I lower the climate control temperature set point and it will stay blowing out the front dash vents at a slower fan speed.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:46 AM
Premium Member

THanks. Mine never stops blowing high even when the temp stabilizes. Dang thing.
Old 08-30-2011, 05:29 PM
Premium Member

I've never waited long enough to see if it would switch from the defrost vents to the front dash vents on it's own. I just raise then lower the temperature set point. Stupid thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.