Boost will not go over 20psi!!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2011, 07:28 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Boost will not go over 20psi!!!

So i took they 2006 f350 crew cab 6.0l In for some problems. I got 3 injectors fixed and now it runs great more power and all the cold starting problems are gone. The owner (also mechanic) looked over the truck and found my turbo shaft loose he said it would need to be rebuilt. He test drove the truck when he finished to make sure it was right, he noticed the boost will not go over 20psi, said it could be related to the loose turbo shaft. So over the weekend I rebuilt the turbo got everything going again and i did the computer relearn on the vgt and still no boost over 20psi. I do have a edge with attitude but i disconnected it during the clear and road test. I then hooked it back up to see if it would help- more power but no more boost. what can i look for or do to see what the problem is or is it just the turbo. The intake blades only had a couple of very small dings on them no bent ones and the coloring of the fan blades looked like the normal condition ones. It it the turbo or something else?
I do have a afe intake and mbrp 4" turbo back exhaust. if you need anything else let me know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2011, 07:33 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Have you ever checked fuel pressure? Just curious since you had injector issues. If you don't have fuel you won't make boost and vice versa.

How did the turbo look when you pulled it apart?
Old 08-15-2011, 09:41 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I am not positive. I am just guessing the tech would have probably seen that on the computer when he hooked it up? Im just guessing, he is a very good tech and he used the factory diagnosis computer system. he did say everything else looks great.

The turbo was relatively clean some rust build up on the exhaust side, but no oil leaks from the seals no bent or damaged blades, just like 3 little knicks (like your finger nail will feel it) on the intake blades.
Old 08-16-2011, 03:56 AM
Powerstroke Techie

No, the PCM doesn't moniter fuel pressure in any way. There is nothing that will tell you you have low fuel pressure without hooking up a manual gauge. Usually the symptoms of low fuel pressure are low power under load, random injector faults, and maybe harder starting.

When's the last time you did fuel filters? I had a truck the other day that had low power and boost looked low. I swore it was a turbo/boost issue. Checked it out more and found fuel pressure low, and when you got it under load fuel pressure was dropping down to 20 psi. Changed fuel filters and fuel pressure came back up and boost was much better.

Ask him if he checked fuel pressure, at idle and under load, and what the numbers were.
Old 08-16-2011, 04:52 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok cool. Sorry I just thought it could make me a pizza too they have sensors for everything. I just replaced the fuel filters maybe 2 months ago. Ok I will ask him on that. It does have good power i tow 15k# fifth wheel and boat together and it seems to tow alright. If that info helps. I will hook up a gauge and check my fuel pressure. Thanks for the advice it gives me a starting point.
Old 08-16-2011, 05:57 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Yeah, I'd just make sure that's good, and double check exhaust pipes going to the turbo and boost hoses. Really if he was just in there doing injectors I would have though he would have seen something. Doesn't hurt to double check.

You still have the EGR system on the truck?
Old 08-16-2011, 07:36 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I just talked with him he said fuel pressure was great and the high pressure oil pump was good as well too. The only thing I can think is when I took off the stock air cleaner and put the AFE Dry filter setup on it i think that is when i started noticing it stoping at 20psi. It could be coincidence i may put the stock one back on and try it. Could that cause that?
Old 08-16-2011, 07:43 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I do still have the stock egr. I did clean it about 10000 miles ago.
Old 08-16-2011, 07:55 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregGallegos View Post
I just talked with him he said fuel pressure was great and the high pressure oil pump was good as well too. The only thing I can think is when I took off the stock air cleaner and put the AFE Dry filter setup on it i think that is when i started noticing it stoping at 20psi. It could be coincidence i may put the stock one back on and try it. Could that cause that?
There are a BUNCH of us who have this problem although I am also running a PowerMax turbo. Perhaps you may be on to something because I was also running an aftermarket air filter, but about a year ago, I switched back to the stock air filter setup. I didn't notice the boost problem until after I switched to the PowerMax turbo. I've verified the MAP, Baro and EBP sensors are working properly (which is typical for these types of issues). Just curious what strategy you are running on your PCM. Mine is VXCF4xx.

I wonder if the improved airflow is somehow screwing with the MAF reading by the PCM...
Old 08-16-2011, 01:54 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Im not sure what you mean strategy? I have the edge juice w/ attitude. I usually run it on 3. If im towing ill step it down to 2. Will one of those boost fakers work? I will switch back to the stock one when i get some time but i remember just setting my chip on 5 hitting my boost alarm at 26. Now that i have this afe on there it will not touch 22 it stays no more than 20 maybe 21 if im lucky when lightning strikes. This testing is empty truck on both tests. If it is the air flow sensor what can i do to get more boost again. Oh yeah even if i take the edge compleatly out just stock the dash gauge will not go over 20 either. I know for a fact last summer i was getting around 25-27 psi on that gauge.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.