Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

2005 6.0L Excursion Sporadic No Start When Warm

4K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Horath 
#1 ·
I recently ran into an issue with my 2005 Excursion 6.0L where it wouldn't start after sitting from 45 minutes to 4 hours after being fully up to temperature. It has a 2004 motor manufactured in Aug. 04 and it currently has 131k miles on it. In four days, it didn't start on my 3 times. It would crank over just fine, but would not fire. After letting it sit for more than 6 hours, it would fire up just fine. the truck never had any hard starts (cold or hot), it would either start or not start. It woudl always start cold, only had the issue after sitting a couple hours. After eliminating the possibility of the ICP sensor by unplugging it during a no start occurrence, i was then told to check the stc fitting. after some research we found that the 2004 motor doesn't have the STC fitting. After some more discussion of the hpop, i was asked what filter / oil i was using. I just bought the vehicle about 3000 miles ago and couldn't answer the question. So, since it was due for an oil change, i decided to change it and was instructed to use ONLY a motorcraft oil filter because aftermarket filters can cause oil drain back from the filter sometimes causing a no start condition. After buying the oil filter and pulling out the old filter, i realized the truck didn't have an OEM cap or filter in it. It had a NAPA filter and cap. i purchased a ford cap and installed the new motorcraft filter and finished the oil change. The truck has started flawlessly now for three days and i've specifically tried to start it more frequently after sitting for a couple hours to replicate the issue and much to my dismay, i can't!!!! It seems odd to me that this is my only issue and am feel like i should continue to investigate something else. I did get a scan tool and checked desired icp pressure vs. actual pressure and they are very consistent. i'm running at 580 psi at icp at idle which is on the bottom end of the "normal" recommended range and at 2500 rpm, i'm at 1800 psi. the ipr is only 50% at 2500 rpm, so that appears to be working properly. Has anyone ever heard of someone having the same issues of sporadic no starts when the vehicle sits for a couple hours and having the root cause be the oil filter? Just looking for some reassurance that something else isn't going on here!

See less See more
#2 ·
Landcruiser, I see this all the time. there are 2 common failures that cause this.
1. there are some plugs in the front of the oil rails that sit on top of the injectors and the o-rings tend to blow out. Ford has a new updated part that has a teflon ring to back up the o-ring and increase reliability of these seals.
2. International decided to eliminate a bolt to save .35 cents on the cost of the engine, this bolt secured the pipe in the back of the engine that supplies oil from the pump to the heads. The elimination of this bolt allows the pipe to flex with the change in pressure from the pump. This in turn causes the coupling to get worn and fail. Ford has also got an updated part for this which eliminates the coupling and replaces it with a solid pipe. In Ford lingo this is referred to as an "STC connector" either one could be the case of your grief. If you can hook up the scan tools and monitor your ICP pressure when the no start is current, you would find u have less than 550 psi. The FICM will not fire the injectors until the PCM sees 550 psi.

#3 ·
"Here is a way of checking to see if you have sufficient high pressure oil without having a gauge or adapter. Strip back the wires about an inch away from the icp sensor connector. Obtain a digital multimeter and set it for voltage (DC). The bn-wh wire is a five volt reference, leave that alone. Strip back the db-lg signal wire and the gy-rd ground wire. Put positive lead on a dark blue-light green wire and negative lead on gray-red wire. Have an assistant crank truck, you need a minimum of 0.80 volts (500 psi) for the truck to start, if you are getting greater than that then you have sufficient high pressure oil."

Find your ICP sensor wires just skin them clip to them and measure with DC volts. KOEO you will see like .249 volts, that's nominal, at crank you should see it rapidly climb to .80 and fire the engine, that is equal to or greater than 500PSI and the PCM commands the FICM to fire off the injectors. This WILL verify if you have a leak, which you do. Mine was a stuck open IPR, yours sounds like a hot only leak, STC fittings or dummy plugs for the rails. Yours builds pressure fine when the system is cold once heated it allows the small leak to keep you from building pressure. Good Luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.