Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

7.3 died

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  booter 
#1 ·
i have a 97' 7.3. A few days ago about 1/2 mile from the house it just died after a right turn. Since I was coasting down hill I slipped it into neutral & cranked it-no start. Turned onto side road, cranked-no start. 5 minutes later it fired up & has been fine since. The suddenness of it's dying reminded me of when the cam speed sensor went out. that sensor was replaced 3 times under warranty. Then on 2 different occasions ford just replaced it under some recall when it was in the shop for something else. any ideas on where to start. i'm due to be in some remote areas & of course it will happen on a logging road in the middle of clark national forest next time. there's hardly any cell phone reception there either.

#3 ·
sensor was my 1st thought too. supposedly the sensor has been upgraded. makes me wonder why ford replaced it 2 more times when i had in the shop for other issues.
1st major repair was shorted out valve cover gasket that fried the injector computer, 4 injectors, & partial wiring harness. 2nd major issue, the fuel lift pump went out.

#5 ·
when the lift pump went it was leaking fuel. the injectors that failed got fried when the valve cover/wiring harness shorted out at 74K. so the failures were premature. the truck now has 103K. at what point do they normally start failing??
i did luck out recently on s valve cover gasket set with the wiring harnesses. a local towing company/repair shop had just installed this new gasket set on one of their trucks. i week later the engine blew. i happened to be in their shop getting a state safety inspection at the time. since they'd installed the gaskets they could not return them. they sold me the whole pkg for $40.00!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.