Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

2005 F450 6.0 no start

5K views 18 replies 2 participants last post by  dazdillenger 
#1 ·
I have a 05 F450 in my shop, we started with having the inj rebuilt, then the high pressure oil tubes and dummy plugs replaced. Also replaced IPR valve and ICP sensor. The hpop was leaking so we replaced it and still only 333psi. The FICM is doing its thing, but no codes and no start! Im lost on this one, any ideas? :confused:

#2 ·
Cracked branch tube is the most likely suspect if you've replaced the STC fitting, standpipe o-rings, hpop, and dummy plugs.

#4 ·
If you have replaced (correctly) all of the above, there can't be much left. Have you verified the LPOP is supplying proper pressure/volume to the HPOP? Pull the oil filter/cap, depress the button, and have an assistant crank the truck. It should fill the resovoir within 5-10 seconds. If it doesn't, or is aerated, look at the supply side. If it does, then the branch tube is likely broken. I had an 04 that the right side broke off completely. It isn't unheard of.

#6 ·
I'm sorry to say replacement requires removal of the transmission, and the rear engine cover. Not an easy task by any means. Have you tried pressurizing the oil system, commanding the IPR closed, and listening for leaks?

#8 ·
get a pigtail, or cut yours off. Applying 5 volts to the IPR should command it to close 85 percent.

#10 ·
30 seconds is as long as I would do it, that seems to be the golden number. You can repeat if necessary, just let it cool down. It is just a coil after all, once it cools you're good to go.

Purge all the oil out of the system first-do this by pressurizing it with the IPR open. once you hear air rushing, command the IPR closed and listen for leaks. You may need a stethoscope if they're small, but only building 333psi sounds like a fairly large leak. What duty cycle are you seeing when trying to start? At 333psi, what is the IPR duty cycle?

#12 ·
Stupid question, but did you replace all the injector o-rings? A torn/burnt o-ring can cause issues as well, I didn't really consider it a possibility as you said you had them rebuilt.

#15 ·
Is it static at 64 percent, or does it start low, go to 84.7, then settle at 64?

#17 ·
The IPR duty cycle should increase until the ICP sensor sees enough pressure to fire the injectors-500 psi or so. If it's only building 333, and your IRP isn't continuing to rise past 65, that sounds like a seperate issue. How long have you cranked it after the HPOP replacement? Disconnect the glow plug control module and hit it with some ether. See if it starts/runs, or just fires. It's possible it's just airbound from all the work, but that should work its way out with cranking.

#18 ·
I been able to get it running with ether, it starts right up with the slightest spray but not under its own power. I took it for a test drive and as soon as it warmed up it died. I wont start under its own. You can here the engine want to fire but not enough pressure to fire up?

#19 ·
Definately a high pressure oil leak. Being as EVERYTHING you replaced has to come back off/out to replace the branch tube, at least you can make sure there were no issues with the repairs. Good luck, update the thread when you get it sorted.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.