06 F250 6.0 surging turbo boost and stall at takeoff - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2011, 08:43 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
06 F250 6.0 surging turbo boost and stall at takeoff

I have an '06 250 6.0 with 93K miles. I started to notice surging turbo boost (~3-5 psi) while I'm driving down the road at constants speeds. It surges up and down every couple of seconds. It does it sometimes at low rpms and ~40 mph and will also do it at highway speeds of 70 mph at constant throttle. Does not do it consistently.

I have also had the truck want to stall at take-off after running the engine hard. At a stop it idles fine, then when wanting to take off it will stall for a second and then pick up and go with no issues.

It only seems to surge and stall when the engine is up to temperature. I had a CEL come on once with code P0401. I cleaned the EGR valve and cleared the code and the code didn't come back on. I am still having the surge and stall issues after cleaning. Any idea what is going on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2011, 10:55 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I had the CEL come on again. This time it gave me P0401 and P0299.
Old 06-27-2011, 11:03 AM
Unapologetically American

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
A plugged EGR valve can cause some driveability issues. Pull it, clean it, and replace the o-rings. You may also have something going on with the turbo vanes sticking. You could always try the WOT run on the highway trick to try and clear both of them up, but I don't think it will clear out big chunks of it.

Does your truck idle a lot?
Old 06-27-2011, 11:25 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have pulled the EGR valve, cleaned, and replaced the o-rings. I have also tried the WOT by running in 3rd gear with the truck governed out at 4000 rpm for a couple of miles. The stalling at take-off became worse right after I did that and eventually went away until the next time i ran the engine hard.

I don't idle the truck very much, but i do a lot of slow city driving.
Old 06-27-2011, 11:42 AM
Unapologetically American

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I have had the PO299 before, but it was only when I was pulling something up a hill. It's happened twice, I cleared the CEL and never came back on for the rest of the trip. The PO401 usually means the EGR valve is boogered. Maybe it needs to be replaced
Old 06-27-2011, 11:58 AM
information regurgitator

The P0401 code is the one you get when you delete the EGR cooler "insufficient EGR flow" the p0299 is turbo underboost code.
Sounds to me you have some cleaning to do, heres a good list:

The MAP sensor hose and the nipple on the manifold.
Remove the rubber hose that comes off the intake manifold and goes towards the passenger side of the truck, to the back of a triangular shaped bracket on top of the HVAC box. Check the hose for pinholes and cracks. Replace if you find any. While it is off, check the nipple in the intake that the hose connects to. Take an allen wrench or something (that won't fall into the intake) and poke it into the hole to make sure it is open.

EBP sensor
The EBP sensor on your year engine is on the drivers side, behind the air filter and is attached to the valve cover at the front FICM bracket. It is a sensor sitting on top of a stainless steel tube that, if you followed it, goes to the exhaust manifold on this side.
Use two wrenches, one on the sensor, the other on the tube so you don't twist it. Remove sensor and clean. Take a long piece of tie-wire and run it down the tube all the way to the exhaust manifold. You want to be sure it is not clogged.

The next is the actual turbo.
Remove the turbo and clean the exhaust drive side of it.
Below, I have attached a pdf file that you can use for that purpose as well as the turbo removal pdf file.
You will need to purchase the "turbo mounting hardware kit" which runs about 8 bucks through tousley ford.

hmmmm, well it seems I forgot to add the turbo removal file.. see next post.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Ford_Turbo cleaning.pdf (611.6 KB, 286 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.