Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

which scanner?

5K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  rangerstx 
#1 ·
this is my first post here but ive used the site alot in the past. i started working at a small diesel shop in my home town its mosly big trucks with cats, cummins and internationals which are pretty easy to work on in the diagnostic sence. where im running into problems is that alot of the contracts we have has alot of powerstrokes and cummins. they bring them out and we have and antique snapon scanner that pretty much just pulls the codes on diesels. my question is i need(or what im looking for) a relatively cheep pc based scanner that will scan powerstroke cummins and duramaxs and give some live data and be able to perform some tests like powerbalance ect. any info would be greatly apprecated.

#3 ·
auto enginuity is the best as it can initiate tests. If you want a cheaper alternative, check out scanxl pro. You can get the enhanced diagnostics for ford, mazda, lincoln, mercury, gm, and chrysler for what you'd pay for just the enhanced for for AE. Might be a good idea to go that route IF you work on more than fords!

and, you can use generic elm327 interfaces off ebay which brings the cost down even further-heck, a spare cable is only 5 bucks, and you can install the software on multiple pc's in the shop.

I work on a lot more than fords, and have found it to be invaluable. The only time I would have liked to have had auto enginuity was for recalibrating my speedo.

http://www.scantool.net/software/scanxl-std.html

and get the ford enhanced.

#4 ·
thanks for the info... just got a few questions. does the ae already come with the big 3 diesels on it or do you have to purchase seprate. and with scan xl does it come able to scan and perform tests with out the enhanced software... i notice they dont offer an enhanced version for dodge.

i may be asking alot of questions but i need to know the answers bc my boss is old school diesel and dont mess with computers alot. but if you want a 60 series detroit overhauled or any cat cummins john deere pretty much anything big hes the guy.

it would be nice if they had one out there that would scan everything like the big trucks and little trucks lol

#5 ·
When you buy ae it is a basic obd2 reader. You have to then buy the ford enhanced package. The basic obd2 will work with all vehicles, but to do the tests (injector buzz, contribution, etc) you need to buy the enhanced for every manufacturer.

#7 ·
May I make one suggestion and that would be shop around in you local area repair shops like you’re looking to have some work done.

Ask in a tactful way what equipment they use to read the onboard computers ( the OBD 2 PORT ) for data to help in repairing your truck.

Ask other gear heads in your local area what equipment they use.

I do not work directly in the automobile repair business but the 6 people I know and the shops they work for all use the AE equipment.

Ask, email mark@marksalem.com subject line, car question and ask about the 2 or his take on any others.

When you buy AE it is a basic obd2 reader. ( $249.95 )

You have to then buy the ford enhanced package, for reading all of the information from the onboard computer data. ( $199.95 )

I am not sure but $1399.99 has every thing but a bit expensive for a small shop only working on the big 3.

Also I do not work for or sell any thing from AE, just sold on there software.

#9 ·
1399 is ludacris. Get scanxl professional with the gm, ford, and chrysler enhanced. Mine cost me 375 for all of them. May not be the AS good, but for 1/4 of the price, I'm more than satisfied with what it can do.

#10 ·
I'm assuming companies frown on sharing licenses right? If it were allowed I'd be happy to share mine with you (scanxl) for evaluation purposes. I know you can download the software for free, and try it out, but it won't let you connect to a vehicle until you buy a license. It works with any generic elm327 cable off ebay. I have it installed on all my laptops. They are adding the ability to initiate tests, but I'm not holding my breath.

#11 ·
thanks for the info guys... ive worked in several shops over the years two of them being ford dealers. of corse ford dealers use ids... but the most common scanner around here is the otc genisys or nemisys and they just seem to fall way short on data display especially on diesels not to mention they are quite expensive. i have personally a wds it works good for what it is but its such a pain in the you know what to use its as far up to date as it can be and its soo sloww. well now that i got a couple of choices to persent to the boss i got to see what he wants to do.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.