Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

96 7.3 powerstroke won't start

6K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  dan_r_jacobson 
#1 ·
This truck has ALWAYS struggled to start in cooler weather. Even at 50 degrees it needs the block heater plugged in. The other day it was borderline and I tried to start it without the block heater. To me it sounded like one side of the motor was firing but the other wasn't. The whole truck sort of rocked side to side. Lots of white smoke. Now it won't start at all (neither side firing). Any ideas? I am in the boonies and do not want to tow this to a dealership.

#2 ·
Check the relay for the GPs...causes alot of the hard starting issues. But @ 50*, she should start with no issues.

As far as 1 side not firing, check your UVCH. I had to replace an IDM a cple months back on a 96 f350...only 1 bank was firing. This was after replacing the UVCH onthe right bank.

#4 ·
you getting any smoke from the exhaust? neither side....check the UVCH. I'd say the IDM is shot. You got anyone you can swap one out with, for testing purposes? The IDm is costly, and I'd hate to see anyone buyone without knowing for sure it's the problem....

#9 ·
i have a 96er myself, the only 2 suggestion that i can offer are the ones that have been suggested: Under valve cover harness & the IDM. i've had problems with problems w/ both.

wait.............as i was typing, i thought of something. high pressure oil pump could be going out or the HPOP reservoir is getting low.

#10 ·
okay, Here is a newbie question. I have no problem removing the valve covers to check the UVCH and plugs, but if that doesn't work, I am at a loss and will need to take this in to get a professional opinion. Can the valve cover gaskets be re-used if they take them off again in the shop? I would hate to pay for them twice. They aren't cheap.

#11 · (Edited)
Did you get this running? I agree with the other post, you need to visibly check pins on gaskets and wire harness on the under and exterior wire connectors. The IDM can go out one side or both. Water in them is a common failure. If you replace gaskets and they do not get burned there is absolutely no reason they can't be reused. Also check fuse # 22 to see if it's blown. Check these manuals or sites. 1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums
97-15A 7.3L DI Turbo Workshop Manual
1996 Bronco/F-Series Workshop Manual

#12 ·
No, still not running. The IDM isn't the problem, as I swapped one in there and no change. I think the VCs need to come off, it just doesn't seem right that everything would go out at once if it is a burned wiring harness or glow plugs, but I guess thats a place to start. I will check all fuses again.

thanks for your advice

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.