Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

03 6.0 Cranks but doesn't start

3K views 19 replies 4 participants last post by  Hemlock71 
#1 ·
Hi All, I'm new to the forum and appreciate any help on this issue I'm having. About eight or nine months ago I went to start the truck (summer) and it would crank but wouldn't turn over (no smoke or anything) and after checking what I could(oil, wires) still nothing then after a few more attempts it started and ran fine until a couple of months later, it did it again. Recently it happened twice in one week so I took it to a buddy that has a shop to see what code may have been stored, he said the two codes were the crank sensor and the FICM I'm just puzzled because the problem is intermittent. Any help would be appreciated, Thanks

#3 · (Edited)
Do all of this in this order.
Take the batteries out of the truck, bring them to an autoparts store and have them LOAD tested. If they fail, or are marginal, replace them with the proper sized batteries.
Put the batteries on a battery charger. Make sure they are fully charged.
Clean all the battery connections.
Lastly, go to this LINK and follow the directions carefully.

You have to verify that the batteries are in good working condition before checking the FICM so that the testing results are accurate. If you skip a step by assuming something, you could potentially replace a FICM, and then have the new one burn out due to a bad battery that you would have caught if you did not skip a step.
Good luck.

#7 ·
well I went and had the batteries load tested and they were good, I let the truck cool down a few hours but still felt hot but tested the ficm anyway and with the key on buzzing it was at 48.5, when running it went down to 38 and stayed there. I'm going to wait until morning and try it again when it's cold and go from there. The other code mentioned was the crank sensor which looks like a PIA to replace...lol

#9 ·
Thanks, that's my project for tomorrow then also do I need to get it flashed after this? I think it's been a few years since it's been flashed. I'm the lucky owner of this thing since it was new but I forget all the warranty work and flashes that's been done on it..lol

#10 ·
You can repair the existing, if you have supreme soldering skill.
If you don't there are places you can send it that will save you hundreds of dollars over buying a new one from Ford.
Swamps diesel, Innovative Diesel, Quick Tricks Auto are but a few. Bulletproof diesel is working on their own version, but it isn't even in Beta testing yet.

#14 ·
Tested again this morning key on buzz it was 14 and went up to 47.8 after buzz then started it and got 23 and stayed there. I did the repair and after key on buzz I got 26 then started it and got 39 and stayed there so it didn't work all that well but the only thing that was different was I have a seven screws instead of four and the inside was different than the FICM repair procedure as far as the two resisters that I didn't get to solder because I couldn't find them...lol so maybe that's the problem or I need to replace the power supply capacitors....HELP PLEASE

#15 ·
I know precious little about the 7 pin. Never even held one in my hand. Sorry I can't be of any more help with that.

I do know I won't be sending my FICM to you when it does take that dirt nap though. :funny:

#18 ·
#20 ·
well I went over all the soldering point again just to make sure plus checked the resisters and hit them with the iron, hooked it up yo the truck and got 47.4 while running so I think I'm good to go. It starts better than before but still thinking I'm going to get new batteries just because they were a little sluggish starting this morning and their 3-4 years old so it's not going to hurt to replace them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.