Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

6.0 weird noise when boosted

2K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  PowerStrokeEnginuities 
#1 ·
I have a weird noise when my truck builds boost. its hard to describe, nothing like the turbo fart when you let off the go pedal, its like a buzzing whistle sound. i dont smell any exhaust under the hood so maybe not the up pipe. i have studs, sinister delete, stock air intake, cfm large mouth. any suggestions as where to look.:dunno:eek:h yeah i have a new coolant cap when the studs were done bout 10k miles ago. sounds sorta like the cap did when i blew the gaskets but louder so its gotta be pressure bleed. right

#2 ·
I just got my oil cooler and egr cooler done at a local dealership and have noticed a sound similar to this. It increases in loudness the higher the rpm's get and once I let off the pedal it slowly decreases. It is not the turbo whistle, it last almost twice as long as the turbo whistle when I left off the pedal :dunno:

#8 ·
Mine did it too, a very annoying whistle when building boost the more boost the more whistle. It was a crack in the Y-Pipe. 4months later it started again, this time it was a crack in the Up-Pipe.

#10 ·
Yes. The pipe was $250ish but the labor killed me from the Stealership it was $650ish. All to gether it was $947 w/tax and all. A local garage could have done it cheaper by $200, I checked afterwards oops.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.