Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

'05 6.0 IPR Location ?

58K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  redticcoondog 
#1 ·
'05 6.0 F-350 Need diagram of IPR placement if at all possible. Thanks.:)

#3 ·
Welcome to the ORG. Just curious how you diagnosed a bad IPR.

Here's a pic of mine to show location and a pic of my ruptured screen on my IPR.

Reactions: Chuck550HD
#4 ·
Thanks for the info and photos.
The problem is surging at idle occasionally and even while running at 60-70 mph can feel surging sometimes. Had our mechanic (truck shop at concrete company) clean the egr valve and the ebp valve and tube which were pretty plugged. The truck has 85,000 miles
and other than turbo replacement 15,000 miles ago, no problems. Local dealer service suggested IPR valve. Strange thing, no engine codes.
Any suggestions?

#5 ·
Throwing parts at it will test your patience and your pocketbook. Using a diagnostic scanner, monitor your Injection Control Pressure (ICP) and IPR duty cycle when it is surging. FYI, your High Pressure Oil Pump (HPOP) is a constant duty cycle pump, which uses the IPR to maintain the ICP to the injectors. The IPR works in harmony with the ICP sensor to monitor the ICP and increase IPR to maintain the ICP.

#7 ·
i just want to add, that from the few trucks that needed an ipr that i serviced they all didnt run, and threw a code for injection pressure or something along those lines, so it could be an icp or even a computer problem, i would deff do a little more diagnostic work before just replacing parts, and on top of that part you need to buy the tool to take the ipr,

and evil eye question to you, did you really take all those parts out to get to the ipr?

#8 ·
No, it was part of a tear down that we did to change out the STC fitting, upgrade the turbo drain, and install my BulletProof EGR and Oil Coolers. :thumb: That would be WAY overkill for just the IPR.

#11 ·
Thanks for all the info on my surging problem.
We changed the IPR and the ICP Sensor and so far no more surging problem.
It's only been since Friday, but no surging and the truck seems to have more power. Thank You. :)
Glad to hear it! :thumb:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.