Need HELP!!! Started without Oil. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2011, 09:43 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Need HELP!!! Started without Oil.

Okay, I had my oil changed and the dumb butts didn't put the plug back in. It is an 04 F250 6.0L with 105,000 miles. Of course since it needs oil pressure to start, it would only run rough like it was going to start for about a second or two then die. It took them about 4 attempts to realize they didn't have the plug in. Then, they tried to start it for over 30 minutes before they got it started after filling up the oil. This was 10 days ago. Now my truck is at the Ford House and the FICM is out for starters, not sure what else until they clear that problem. Could the attempted starts for over 30 minutes first without oil, then with oil have caused the FICM to burn out and could it cause other problems in the future? Thanks for the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2011, 09:46 AM
Conservative and Proud

I am by no means an expert but I can't help but think that there would be even more damage. I could be wrong though.
Old 04-07-2011, 05:20 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
How 'bout some add'l info on the FICM. Did it go bad during this adventure? How was that determined? Most importantly did you document the problem on the receipt from the oil change place?

I would be sure to have them eat the cost of repairs. If the truck didn't run the chances are very good that your bearings are still ok.
Old 04-10-2011, 10:54 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

That engine could run alot longer than that without oil and not hurt it. We have tested many deisels including international, cat,, DD and cummings by running them without oil for 30 minutes, then putting oil back in and keep on driving.
I cannot see any relation between the two unless we are not getting all the info. Like they cranked on it untill the batteries went dead then they put a charger on it. I have fried a couple of cars by doing that...
Old 04-16-2011, 02:44 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

i just want to add my experience i wrecked a turbo when a 6.0 pissed out all its oil because of a cracked filter cap, and that was barely a couple mins that it ran like that, and ive seen some of those old engines ran without oil and its impressive but this ones different since the injectors need oil to fire
Old 05-03-2011, 12:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Ficms are known to go bad wwhen u have low voltage problems, low oil concerns will not have an effect on you FICM. turbos wont last long with no low oil pressure. any other questions, im me.
Old 05-28-2011, 08:06 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to riverszzr
Well I had an oil filter fall of my Dodge back when I had a Dodge. I was doing about 75 mph down the freeway, heard a clunk under the truck, looked in the mirror and saw something bouncing down the road. Continued on for about 100' before thinking "that looked like an oil filter" looked down at the oil pressure guage, yep-it was 0 and the big red light was on.
By the time I got pulled over and shut off the truck I had probably traveled atleast 1/2 mile. I walked back up the orad found the oil filter, and the gasket-screwed it back on, started the truck and drove about a mile to the next exit and gas station where I got oil and filled it ...If I remember correctly it took over 8 quarts.
Anyways, I had that truck for over 50,000 miles after that with no problems.

As was said, since the truck didn't actually start or run for any real length of time, I highly doubt you would have any type of issues related to lubrication.

Last edited by riverszzr; 05-28-2011 at 08:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.