Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

need work done

532 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  dannanw 
#1 ·
I have an 04 powerstroke that needs some engine work done. I have been led to believe that I need the FICM replaced. My truck is parked in a heated garage at home and at work, but runs like crap for the first mile or so. After that it only runs smoothly when the turbo is spooled up. When it isn't, it feels like the engine is bouncing in the engine compartment. I just had the oil cooler and the egr cooler replaced. Should I go with an after market FICM, if it exists? Should I go ahead and replace all of the injectors with after market ones? I just want this thing to run well, and not have to buy a new truck. When they tested the head gasket pressure, the dealer said that it was borderline. I am still having to add antifreeze periodically, so I am guessing the head gaskets are bad. I plan on having the head gaskets replaced and have the ARP studs installed. After that is done, I am looking into purchasing a programmer. Any thoughts on which one to buy? I only haul a trailer with 5 four-wheelers once or twice a year. Other than that, I drive all highway miles. I live in the St. Louis area and am looking for recommendations for a good shop to do this work. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Ryan

#2 ·
I have an 04 powerstroke that needs some engine work done. I have been led to believe that I need the FICM replaced. My truck is parked in a heated garage at home and at work, but runs like crap for the first mile or so. After that it only runs smoothly when the turbo is spooled up. When it isn't, it feels like the engine is bouncing in the engine compartment. I just had the oil cooler and the egr cooler replaced. (I would delete both) Should I go with an after market FICM, if it exists? (PHP can mod it for you) Should I go ahead and replace all of the injectors with after market ones? (not if they are working cause it is $1800ish you dont really need to do) I just want this thing to run well, and not have to buy a new truck. When they tested the head gasket pressure, the dealer said that it was borderline. I am still having to add antifreeze periodically, so I am guessing the head gaskets are bad. I plan on having the head gaskets replaced and have the ARP studs installed. (yep, just have it done and not have to worry about it) After that is done, I am looking into purchasing a programmer. Any thoughts on which one to buy? (SCT w/custom tunes) I only haul a trailer with 5 four-wheelers once or twice a year. Other than that, I drive all highway miles. I live in the St. Louis area and am looking for recommendations for a good shop to do this work. (sorry cant help with that one, out in Colorado I would say Elite Diesel) Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Ryan
:nod::nod::thumb:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.