Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

6.4 front seal

21K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  kaya 
#1 ·
Hello all, I just discovered this forum and love what I see!! Im putting a new crankshaft seal in my 6.4 and am wondering:
1) do I need to remove front engine cover?
2) how do I remove what appears to be a plastic outer seal since " seal remover tool " doesn't fit in there
3) is the $300 seal mounting tool a must or can I use the slightly smaller socket method?
4) should I replace the low pressure fuel pump while I'm in this far? I'm replacing both belt tensioner while I'm here since it took an entire day to take everything out to get to the seal!!!

Currently 144,000 on her. EGR & DPF DELETED only run at 225 hp because it has rediculous power at that setting and just wanted the great fuel economy.

So happy to have found this sight, just amazed at all the great advice and helpful people!! Thank you for any help and great day to all!

#3 ·
Does the old seal have a wear sleeve on the crank snout? And does the new seal come with a wear sleeve as well?

#5 ·
No, the plastic is just a guide. It slides off as the seal is installed. The wear sleeve is a thin metal sleeve, it sits on the inner of the seal.

#6 ·
Oh ok, I will be at my shop all day tomorrow and get back to you then. Sorry I have left for the day. I will remove old one to see what I have.

The seal remover won't fit in the space I have to remove the old one so I'm going to have to get creative to remove old one.

Thank you again for your assistance!!

#7 ·
If you don't have the wear sleeve on the crank snout already from the original seal, you can just remove the pump housing and pop the seal out with a pry bar on the bench. Then install the new one using a socket or even a section of 2x4 wide side up, tapping it square. I believe it sits flush to the housing anyways. Assuming the new seal doesn't have the wear sleeve.
Before driving in the new seal, dab grease in the backside of the seal where the spring sits, at 12, 4, and 8 o'clock. This will keep the spring from popping out when you drive it in.
Just be very careful when you slip the housing back on not to catch the lip. You will need a new seal for the housing as well.
I've never done it this way, but I assume it would be OK. Always have had the installer fortunately.

You will only be able to slide the housing off if there is no wear sleeve on the snout tho. Otherwise, the pump will not clear the sleeve. If there is a wear sleeve on the snout, your new seal will need to be the same type. You'd leave the sleeve on the snout, leave the sleeve off the new seal, remove the old seal and install the new one over the old sleeve. To remove, you can drill a pilot hole in the seal at 3 and 9 o'clock. Install a pair of sheet metal screws and do what you need to do. Either dent puller, or vice grips and pry against them. Dent puller probably won't fit in there tho.

Basically, you need to install the same seal type as is in there or you're gonna need the remover/installer

Reactions: fordsvtparts
#9 ·
Lol I'm pretty sure it's accurate..I think. Like I said, always had the tool.
And I hardly get the pleasure of working on 6.4's anymore so recollection may be foggy haha

Reactions: SparkyF250
#11 ·
The wear sleeve is a thin metal band that sits around the snout. as the name indicates, it protects the snout from wearing a groove in it from the seal. To remove or install a speedy/wear sleeve, you need the tool

#12 ·
WOW what a job!!! I'm filling cooking system now, I also put all new updated hoses, new tensioner and belts.

Putting batteries back in then the moment of truth!!

Regardless of outcome I learned a lot and I thank you Kaya for all your great help!!

All my friends drive chevys and dodge and constantly razz me about my " POS Ford " but I love my Fords ( I also have a couple 7.3s ) besides watching all my friends Dodges rust around the great Cummins engine and drop Trannys every couple years and the Chevy guys practically keep $3000 sets of injectors on the shelf I'll keep driving my Fords!!!!

#13 ·
Ha! Don't get me started on them. Not a brand loyalist by any means. But ford has GM and Chrysler beat in pretty much every category IMO.
Good call on the tensioners. Main tensioner is a pretty common failure on this engine. Often times when it goes, the belt wraps the PS pump and take it out.
Glad I could be of service. Hope it went well

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.