Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

7.3 1800 rpm noise

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  redmt 
#1 ·
Hi guys. New to the forum but not to diesel. I've been around em, in them, over them and worn them out for about 50 years but this one has me stumped. My 2000 7.3 with 230k has a rattly/clinking noise driving me nuts. At first I thought it was the set of re-man injectors from 30k ago. Buzz test showed bad #8 and funky #6 . Pulled them and they all looked worse than I would have expected for only 30k especially seeing as how #8 has failed twice in that time frame.
So,,, the noise I'm chasing is mainly at around 1800 while feathering to very light throttle. There is very little to no change in the noise from the old set to the brand new set of Alliances. Any ideas?
TIA,
John

#2 ·
What CPS are you running? Also does it sound like an exhaust leak? I had a similair noise i could hear cruising at highway speeds and it came from my up pipes leaking real bad

#3 ·
CPS is the factory OEM installed after the recall about a million years ago. The up pies are new a year or so ago. Nope, it's not an exhaust leak. I can manipulate the noise somewhat around 1800 with light to heavy throttle. It's most evident at light throttle , light load. If you were driving up a slight grade feathering in and out of the throttle you can make it come and go. First I thought it might be an injector or possibly a cracked flex plate or a converter noise, they all check out OK without a tear down. It's almost like a light metallic noise. I thought it might be a wristpin but the timing is wrong.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.