Coolant flush - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2013, 02:56 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Coolant flush

So this Thursday I'm going to be changing the coolant out on the 6.0. This is my first coolant flush on my truck so I'm hoping some of you can chime in

1. What kind of coolant are you running? I'm thinking about switching over to a ELC but then again I have two unopened gallons of the Ford stuff in the garage

2. I know there are two plugs on the engine block one of which requires removing the starter to get to. Do you bother with the drivers side or is it okay to just remove the one?

So I'm off to get some distilled water and a new thermostat since my ect never gets above 184.

Thanks guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2013, 05:27 AM
PROUD AMERICAN!!!

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
I haven't done mine yet, but have tossed the idea around in my head about switching to ELC, still not sure yet. I've been thinking about replacing my T-stat as well, I get up a little over 190, but not much. Keep me posted on what you end up doing and how you went about it.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlesnake18 View Post
I haven't done mine yet, but have tossed the idea around in my head about switching to ELC, still not sure yet. I've been thinking about replacing my T-stat as well, I get up a little over 190, but not much. Keep me posted on what you end up doing and how you went about it.
Ended up running about 40 gallons of distilled water through it. Did this until it was coming out clear from the radiator and engine block I went ahead and put back in the ford Gold for now. Took me about a day and a half to do this( every time I drained it and refilled with distilled water I let it high idle for about 60 min or so) It was kind of a pain in the a$$, I was probably under my truck at least a dozen times or so draining and re-draining the block.I figure as long as I do this every 30k or so miles the Ford Gold should be fine. Now on to see if I can figure out the "clunking' noise that happens under the driver side every time I turn.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Did you buy the distilled water per gallon at the store, if so that must have been pricey? Ive always used hose water
Old 04-03-2013, 08:41 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500TD View Post
Did you buy the distilled water per gallon at the store, if so that must have been pricey? Ive always used hose water
I did buy it, I got a good deal for it at .50 a gallon. I could have used my hose for the first few flushes but I figured why not because of the price. I'm not sure if it makes a difference or not, heck I know the dealership sure the he!! don't use distilled water but I read a TON of posts suggesting it. After the last flush I put in 3.5 gallons of concentrated Gold and then topped off with the water. I just did a test on it today and I'm spot on.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

It makes sense, never really thought much of it. However I have always done flushes in regular everyday cars with a garden hose, premixed in any performance application. You bet ill be using distilled when it comes time to fill my coolant.
Old 04-04-2013, 06:19 AM
PROUD AMERICAN!!!

What made you go back to the Ford gold instead of putting in ELC, Casey?
Old 04-04-2013, 06:42 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Honestly I probably would have went with a ELC but I already had 2 gallons of the gold sitting in my garage(couldnt justify letting $40 worth of coolant go to waste). The debate about the Ford Gold and whether or not it does more harm than good to the motor I believe depends on the frequency of how often you change it. Ford at one point said it was good for 7 years or a 100k miles. I think if you stick to the 25-50k mileage range it will be fine. I'm planning on changing mine out in the 30k range at which then I will probably go with a ELC
Old 04-05-2013, 05:47 AM
PROUD AMERICAN!!!

I see. Nick and I have discussed the whole coolant thing many times and both are still running the gold. I need to flush my system soon and need to figure out which way to go. My concern is that if I flush the gold out and then go with ELC I will end up with a clogged up oil cooler.
Old 04-05-2013, 05:25 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Did you flush with any of the chemicals or just the dist water? Been thinking of doing the reverse flush on my oil cooler.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.