Smoked Turkey For Thanksgiving - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Cookin it Up! Chili, steak marinades, desserts, cookout favorites, etc....FOOD!!!

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2013, 05:54 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Smoked Turkey For Thanksgiving

Ok, has anyone tried smoking a turkey? I am going to give it a try this week and so far this is what I have learned. Smoke the bird 35 minutes per pound (actually called for 30 to 40 minutes so I am going with 35) at a temp of 240 (called for 230 to 250). We have a 16lbs bird so I am figuring a little over 9 hours on the smoker. Internal temp needs to be up around 160 or just a little above and she is done. I also plan on making a brine solution and soaking her for 12 or so. I actually brined a chicken before smoking a while back and man that thing was juicy. After brining I will inject the bird with some spices and maybe cut up a lemon and apple and put in the cavity while smoking. I have smoked a lot of other meats but this will be my first turkey, hopefully she turns out good. Can't imagine it will be much different from smoking a chicken.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2013, 06:05 AM
My 6OH Hates Me

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I have cooked a turkey in a webber grill for about 15 years using indirect heat from charcoal briquettes. It usually takes about 2-3 hours to cook a 20 lb turkey. The last hour is when I smoke it with wood. I have never soaked it and it is a very juicy bird when finished. I have messed around with diffeternt woods and heat variations and have come up with the way I do it now. good luck!!
Old 11-25-2013, 12:16 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mike that sounds pretty good but I don't think my little Weber grill will hold my turkey. LOL I got the mini version that we keep in the camper. That little grill can cook some good food though.
Old 02-17-2014, 08:52 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Send a message via AIM to fredizegua Send a message via Skype™ to fredizegua
I didnt try this but after seeing you guys will ask my cook probably my wive to make this....

shopping app

Last edited by fredizegua; 03-07-2014 at 03:46 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.