Tommycat's "3 day" chili - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Cookin it Up! Chili, steak marinades, desserts, cookout favorites, etc....FOOD!!!

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2013, 09:00 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Tommycat's "3 day" chili

Get a crock pot. If you have one, dig it outta the shed/back of the cabinet. Not that one, the big one.
ingredients:
1 lb red kidney beans
1 lb pinto beans
1/2lb black beans
1 whole onion
2-3 lbs beef.
1/2 bell pepper
couple handfuls of cilantro
2 green onions
1 can of corn
3 tomatoes
3 jalapenos
3 cloves garlic(fresh, don't skimp and just use garlic powder)
Salt(2 tablespoons, or to taste)
red pepper(to taste)
Cheyene pepper(if someone complains it's too weak)
One small mesquite chip
1/4 cup of coffee grounds
chunk of stocking or some fine cloth that will hold coffee grounds(rinsed and detergent free)

Day 1: This is the day for the beans. I start out with a couple few beans. 2 1lb packages of beans worked for me. and a half lb of black beans. Clean em and get rid of the bad ones. 1 bag of red kidney 1 bag of pinto, and a half lb of black. Pour the beans into the crock pot and dice up half the onion for flavoring of the beans. Finely dice up one clove of garlic. Dice up one jalapeno for getting some heat into the beans as they cook. Toss in about a teaspoon of salt. Fill the pot with water. Cover and cook on low heat overnight(only about 12 hours really).

Day 2: Drain the remaining water to the point where it's just over the beans. Cut the beef up into cubes of about one inch in size. Throw that in. 2 is generally good, but some like more meat. You may need to take some beans out if you do more meat. Put the coffee grounds and mesquite chip in the cloth(or stocking) and sink it into the bottom of the pot. Dice up the other half of the onion and toss that in. Dice up the half of the bell pepper and chuck it in the pot. SLICE one jalapeno up and mix it in. Mix in one tablespoon of salt. Grate up one clove of garlic. Cover and cook on low for 12 hours.

Day 3(actually just 12 hours after "day 2"): Dice up all 3 tomatoes, slice the last jalapeno, dice one green onion, finely dice the cilantro and toss all of that in the pot. Mix it in and pull out the coffeechip pouch. Cover and cook for about 6 hours, then adjust the seasoning to your taste(I do about a teaspoon of red pepper), then cook it for the remaining 6 hours alternating between lid on and off at about half hour intervals.

Last edited by Tommycat; 10-31-2013 at 08:29 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2013, 09:35 PM
Serving Our Country!

hmmm.......That's a lot of work lol. Sounds like it's worth it though
Old 10-30-2013, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usteffenhagen View Post
hmmm.......That's a lot of work lol. Sounds like it's worth it though
Lol, not really. I mean most of the work is time waiting on the crock pot. But so far even if I miss an ingredient or step, people dig my chili that way.
You can cheat. Use two cans of red kidney, two cans of pinto, and one can of black, and you cut the cooking time down(though the flavor suffers). Throw it all in on the night before your party and let it cook overnight(if you live in wuss country, take out one jalapeno. If it's deep in Democrat country, only use one. If you're in Texas, substitute serranos ).
Old 10-30-2013, 10:13 PM
Serving Our Country!

lol well I live in neither of those (thank God) and I like my flavor bold and spicy. Next get together we have I might have to dig this recipe up
Old 11-05-2013, 06:34 AM

Man, that sounds like some really good chili. My wife makes awesome chili now but I may print this off and let her give it a try.
Old 11-05-2013, 09:43 AM

Thanks, I used to live in Texas, so it was required to have your own Chili Recipe. Most folks in Texas already have a "secret" recipe(I do too ), but this one works for public. Oh and use a roast or stew meat. Some people like ground beef. I'm not a fan. Too greasy. Of course there are some that LIKE greasy... A buddy of mine used to make his chili with bacon grease. It was his way of "stickin it to them muslims"

Last edited by Tommycat; 11-05-2013 at 09:48 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.