How to cook Dove? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Cookin it Up! Chili, steak marinades, desserts, cookout favorites, etc....FOOD!!!

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2007, 05:51 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
How to cook Dove?

I went to a dove shoot there were about 25-30 people and we shot 315 dove. So me and my brother both took home 10 dove we cleaned them and just kept the breast I ahve heard of frying them or baking them I was just wanting to know if anyone had a good recipe for dove that they would like to share I am going to cook some tonight for some friends that are comeing over for New Years
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2007, 06:03 AM

Slice one side of the breast open and stick in a jalepeno pepper, then wrap in bacon, stick a toothpick thru it and grill it.
Old 12-31-2007, 06:05 AM

Soak in favorite marinade. Italian Dressing works great also, then grill it up.
Old 12-31-2007, 06:12 AM

sounds good guys keep them coming
Old 12-31-2007, 06:17 AM

I have tried numerous recipes but my favorite is to marinate in italian dressing - then wrap the breast in a strip of bacon (held by a toothpick into the breast) - grill for a minute or two maximum. They key is not to overcook - dove is very lean and the bacon and italian dressing keeps it moist.
Old 12-31-2007, 06:18 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by willholl79 View Post
Slice one side of the breast open and stick in a jalepeno pepper, then wrap in bacon, stick a toothpick thru it and grill it.
We do this here but marinate for 4 hours in a mix of Dr Pepper and Dark beer along with a quartered up orange.

Once on the grill keep away from the fire, they are done when the bacon is crispy. For more spice used sliced habenero.
Old 12-31-2007, 06:23 AM

ok well mine still has the bones its the two halfs of the breast and the breast plate do I need to debone it 1st or cook like it just how it is??
Old 12-31-2007, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestroker View Post
ok well mine still has the bones its the two halfs of the breast and the breast plate do I need to debone it 1st or cook like it just how it is??
I leave the bone in. When cooked the meat will peal right off the bone.
Old 12-31-2007, 06:37 AM
Learning the 6.0 game…...

Quote:
Originally Posted by willholl79 View Post
He wants to know about dove, not DUCK. The breasts aren't that big!
Old 12-31-2007, 06:53 AM
Learning the 6.0 game…...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestroker View Post
I like mine off the bone, but with birds they have that little "fillet" that is tight against the breast bone and "sternum" (the bone that seperates the two halves) come together. It is the most tender meat of the breast and with dove it doesn't come off as easy as a duck breast "fillet". Bone on or bone off either will be fine. I like to cook with bone off so the meat gets the same amount of heat on both sides.

I just bone mine, pat dry and let them stand on paper towls (to absorb any left over water or blood) season with salt and pepper and grill a couple minutes on both sides until they read about 135-140 degrees with my meat thermometer. They should be a little pink in the center. Let them set about five minutes before you cut them. Slice 'em up and THEN pour whatever kind of sauce you like over them. I don't marinate my game meat when I grill because the marinade burns. Plus I want to taste the meat, and have the sauce accent it, not overpower it. I NEVER cook my birds wrapped with bacon. You don't need to do that. The meat won't be on the grill long enough to dry up. Plus dove is such a delecate taste, the bacon will totally over power it and you will only taste bacon. I like my bacon with eggs!
Do you wrap your boneless skinless chicken breasts with bacon? Neither do I.

There are a TON of ways to cook it, whatever you choose just make sure you DON'T OVER COOK IT but you don't need bacon to keep it moist, just keep a dillegent eye on it. There is no fine line with cooking game birds between perfectly done and overcooked. It's only one or the other.

When I first started hunting I over cooked all my birds, It was just a mental block that I had from eating chicken, plus I see the bird come back shot to hell and in the dogs mouth so I was hesitant to eat my ducks medium rare. BUT once I got over the phobea DAMN IT'S GOOD MEAT!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.