Perfect Ribs - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Cookin it Up! Chili, steak marinades, desserts, cookout favorites, etc....FOOD!!!

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2010, 03:36 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Perfect Ribs

Ok guys, It's time for me to man up and cook my first rack of baby backs. (Never cooked any type of ribs before in my life) My idea of perfect ribs is when you can take two fingers, one on each end of the bone, lift, and the meat stays on the plate. How do I get these kinda results?

What are your techniques to get that perfect rack?

I know some guys keep their recipe's close to the heart, but how about some sauce recommendations, or recipe's would be great.

I'll be cooking on a propane 4 burner grill. (yeah, no smoker yet, but it'll be in my future.)

I'll be cooking these tomorrow night, so plenty of time for some convo before I pre-heat.

Please let the ideas and convo begin. I searched "perfect ribs" and only got 3 threads. This HAS to have been brought up before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2010, 08:55 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

The sky is the limit......I rub mine seasoned pepper blend and garlic salt to begin with.......all depends on what you like (bbq sauce included).......on the grill "slow and low" is you friend.....low heat and a long time.....you might put them in the middle wrapped in foil and run the outside burners for your first time....so you will not burn them.
We make our own sauce
2/3 cup beef broth
2/3 cup ketchup
1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
2 tblspoons of Texas Pete (NOT Franks red hot !)

cook it down stirring frequenty until it has the consistency you like
Old 05-11-2010, 05:06 PM
Unapologetically American

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I just made some up this past weekend for Mothers Day. I rubbed them down with Famous Daves dry rub, put them in the refer for about 4 hours, hten fired up the vertical smoker. Used the 3-1.5-1 method on the spare ribs, and the 2-1-1 method for the baby backs. This was the first time I had ever smoked ribs, and DAMN they were awesome . I'm not just tooting my own horn here, the family really enjoyed the hell out of them too.

I used hickory wood for smoke for about 1-1.5 hours
Old 06-18-2010, 09:39 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I like this one a lot!!!

Cook Time: 1 Hour Ready In: 2 Hours
Yields: 5-6 servings
"very, very, good! You can also add finely chopped onions, & garlic power to the water for more flavor, etc."
INGREDIENTS:
2 - 3 pounds of pork spareribs
1 cup ketchup
3 cups of your favourite spicy barbeque sauce (I use “PC SMOKIN HABANERO”)
1 cup brown sugar
2 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 teaspoons of Worcestershire sauce
1 dash hot pepper sauce, or to taste
1 heaping teaspoon of prepared mustard
3 tablespoons steak sauce,
(e.g. Heinz 57 or HP)
2 cloves garlic, minced
DIRECTIONS:
1. Cut the ribs between every 3rd or 4th bone and then place the ribs in a large pot with enough water to cover, add a medium chopped onion & a sprinkle of garlic power for extra flavour. Bring the water to a boil and cook over medium-high heat for 30 minutes.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F, or use 4B recipe for barbeque cooking.(2 days to make)
3. In medium saucepan, combine ketchup, barbeque sauce, brown sugar, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, hot pepper sauce, steak sauce, mustard and garlic; blend well. Cook the sauce over medium heat for approximately 20 minutes. (Please note that the above ingredients are all to taste. Use more or less of anything you like. I never make the ribs the same way twice!)
4A

4B Cooking in oven: Place the boiled ribs in a baking pan or roaster. Pour sauce over the ribs, then cover and cook for 30 minutes. Remove foil and continue cooking for an additional 30 minutes to brown slightly.

On your barbeque:
This recipe is my favourite done on the barbeque cooked on cedar planks, you will need to prepare the cedar planks 1 day in advance.
Day before: purchase one un-treated cedar plank (1”X6”X6’) will be lots. Cut enough cedar to cover your whole barbeque grill and still be able to close the lid. Then you will need to soak your cedar in water over-night. (Make sure the cedar is fully submerged in water).
Next day: you will need to follow the first three steps of the recipe.
When your ribs are boiled & the sauce is made, you will need to start your barbeque and set the flames to low, allow 5 minutes to reach proper temp.
. Place all of your cedar planks on the grill and then coat each rib portion individually & generously on both sides. Cover the cedar planks with only one tight layer of ribs if possible, but two layers will work. Close the lid and let it cook on low for about 1 hour, you will not have to turn the rib during cooking & they will not burn either!!!
(WHILE COOKING I LIKE TO BLOCK THE SIDES AND BACK LID VENTS WITH TIN FOIL TO KEEP IN AS MUCH SMOKE AS POSSIBLE). ENJOY!!!!!!!
Old 06-18-2010, 09:53 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006PSDSD View Post
I just made some up this past weekend for Mothers Day. I rubbed them down with Famous Daves dry rub, put them in the refer for about 4 hours, hten fired up the vertical smoker. Used the 3-1.5-1 method on the spare ribs, and the 2-1-1 method for the baby backs. This was the first time I had ever smoked ribs, and DAMN they were awesome . I'm not just tooting my own horn here, the family really enjoyed the hell out of them too.

I used hickory wood for smoke for about 1-1.5 hours
We bought a smoker a few months back, I put the rub on and let them sit for 2 days (was only supposed to be 1 day, but something came up lol) I put them on along with a tri tip. Started smoking them around 8 am, took them off around 5pm. I made the mistake of telling my dad I was smoking ribs, the whole family showed up. So much for left overs

Same thing happened when I grilled lobster tails. I bought about 10 of them when they were on sale at the grocery store. My girlfriend told my mom about them, who in turn told my dad about them, who then showed up to eat lobster....and boy can he pack it away.
Old 06-18-2010, 10:17 AM
Serving Our Country!

This is one of the shoulder roast i did last week for pulled pork samiches.
This cooked for 14 hours bein smoked on the grill.

Ribs: my definition of perfect ribs is u take a bite and you can still see your bite in the rib...Ummm Goooood.

This is how i do mine.
I figure an hour a pound cooking slowely at 210 to 225. with your choice of smoke i think apple or cherry wood is killer but otherwise hickory.
I do a dry rub
to start i either rub the ribs with olive oil..but my favorite is honey mustard
I use a simple rub of salt pepper garlic and your basic seasoning salt.
about every 40min of cooking i spray down with apple cider vinigar it helps tenderize and puts a little sweetness on them.
The last half hour i turn over bone side down. Removeand let sit for 20min before eating... Hell im gettin hungry.
Now i do use a propane grill which people sometimes dont like, but i like to know where my temp is always. AND ALWAYS INDIRECT COOKING!!

Hope you figure it out watever way you choose.
Oh i did forget to put no ribs are perfect its hard to screw up they are just so dang good!
I love seein people enjoyin my food!

Last edited by sawyer1; 06-18-2010 at 10:24 AM.
Old 06-18-2010, 10:50 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

I usually bake mine in a covered pan with some olive oil and fresh garlic for 2 hrs on 300. Then cover with home made bbq sauce of your choice (there are some great sounding ones above) and cook on the smoker for an hour or so. They come out tender and perfect every time!
Old 07-04-2010, 12:35 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

that shoulder roast looks fantastic. Thanks for sharing the recipe.
Old 11-17-2010, 01:33 PM

i have always cooked mine on a smoker. but i did try it once on propane (not too bad but a little dry). for a smoker try seasoning of choice first, keep the pit around 225 to 250, 1.5 hour membrane down (meat side up) bare no foil. then wrap in foil maybe add a little brown sugar & butter cook for a additional 1.5 hour at the same temp. let sit for 20 minutes in the foil & enjoy the meat will fall off the bone
Old 11-17-2010, 02:01 PM

My dad uses a dry rub, wraps them in foil and slow cooks em in the oven at 250* for 6-8hrs. The BBQ sauce or whatever sauce you're using doesn't get added on till they are ready to be put on the grille. Once on the grille baste them in a heatly dose of your desired sauce and rotate till warm.

Doing it this way it's hard to even pick them up without the bone falling out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.